Westminster backtracks on parking fines after media pressure
Westminster Council has agreed to write to all motorists who were wrongly given �60,000 worth of parking tickets after pressure from the Wood&Vale.
On Thursday the Wood&Vale reported the council could make a profit of tens of thousands of pounds from its own mistake after issuing �130 fines to 445 drivers on the Lisson Green Estate between April 4 and October 23.
Parking chiefs admitted all tickets issued during that time were unenforceable as it was a trial period.
But they said refunds would only be given out on receipt of a written request with details of when, where and why the parking ticket was issued.
However, the council has now agreed to change its policy by actively contacting every person who was wrongly issued a ticket to tell them they are eligible for a refund.
You may also want to watch:
Parking boss Cllr Lee Rowley said: “Following a complaint a full investigation was carried out and we are confident this will not happen again.
“In line with our usual policy we will be offering refunds to customers who apply.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 5 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 6 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 7 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 8 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 9 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 10 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
“We will also be issuing a letter to the Residents Association for inclusion in their newsletter and will add notes to the website as a way of communicating this.
“As a one-off, and because we take this very seriously, we will also be writing to every individual who has had a ticket and who we have details for.”