Westminster backtracks on parking fines after media pressure
Westminster Council has agreed to write to all motorists who were wrongly given �60,000 worth of parking tickets after pressure from the Wood&Vale.
On Thursday the Wood&Vale reported the council could make a profit of tens of thousands of pounds from its own mistake after issuing �130 fines to 445 drivers on the Lisson Green Estate between April 4 and October 23.
Parking chiefs admitted all tickets issued during that time were unenforceable as it was a trial period.
But they said refunds would only be given out on receipt of a written request with details of when, where and why the parking ticket was issued.
However, the council has now agreed to change its policy by actively contacting every person who was wrongly issued a ticket to tell them they are eligible for a refund.
You may also want to watch:
Parking boss Cllr Lee Rowley said: “Following a complaint a full investigation was carried out and we are confident this will not happen again.
“In line with our usual policy we will be offering refunds to customers who apply.
- 1 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 2 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 3 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 4 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 5 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 8 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Ally Pally and Highgate's abandoned station star in new children's book
“We will also be issuing a letter to the Residents Association for inclusion in their newsletter and will add notes to the website as a way of communicating this.
“As a one-off, and because we take this very seriously, we will also be writing to every individual who has had a ticket and who we have details for.”