West Hampstead fire: Firefighters say cigarette butt caused new build blaze
- Credit: Archant
After the devastating fire at new build block of flats in West Hampstead yesterday saw families evacuated and five balconies destroyed, London Fire Brigade revealed they believe a discarded cigarette butt caused the blaze.
The brigade’s investigators said the fire was thought to have been started by a cigarette left in a plant pot on the balcony of the third floor of the Orwell building on Heritage Lane.
Firefighters have also issued a smoking safety warning after the inferno which left residents terrified.
The brigade said: “We would rather people didn’t smoke at all but if they do, vaping is a safer option.
“If you do choose to smoke cigarettes, it is absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.
You may also want to watch:
“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 4 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 9 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 10 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved