West Hampstead fire: Firefighters say cigarette butt caused new build blaze
- Credit: Archant
After the devastating fire at new build block of flats in West Hampstead yesterday saw families evacuated and five balconies destroyed, London Fire Brigade revealed they believe a discarded cigarette butt caused the blaze.
The brigade’s investigators said the fire was thought to have been started by a cigarette left in a plant pot on the balcony of the third floor of the Orwell building on Heritage Lane.
Firefighters have also issued a smoking safety warning after the inferno which left residents terrified.
The brigade said: “We would rather people didn’t smoke at all but if they do, vaping is a safer option.
“If you do choose to smoke cigarettes, it is absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.
You may also want to watch:
“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 6 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 7 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 8 Ozil set for Arsenal exit
- 9 More goals, less mistakes needed says Spurs boss Mourinho
- 10 Letters: Local business, vaccination, Abacus and The Ponds