West Hampstead fire: Firefighters say cigarette butt caused new build blaze
- Credit: Archant
After the devastating fire at new build block of flats in West Hampstead yesterday saw families evacuated and five balconies destroyed, London Fire Brigade revealed they believe a discarded cigarette butt caused the blaze.
The brigade’s investigators said the fire was thought to have been started by a cigarette left in a plant pot on the balcony of the third floor of the Orwell building on Heritage Lane.
Firefighters have also issued a smoking safety warning after the inferno which left residents terrified.
The brigade said: “We would rather people didn’t smoke at all but if they do, vaping is a safer option.
“If you do choose to smoke cigarettes, it is absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.
You may also want to watch:
“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 3 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 4 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 5 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 6 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 7 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 8 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 9 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 10 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens