Search

West Hampstead fire: Firefighters say cigarette butt caused new build blaze

PUBLISHED: 11:29 04 July 2018 | UPDATED: 11:37 04 July 2018

The building on fire in West Hampstead. Picture: Lucas Cumiskey

The building on fire in West Hampstead. Picture: Lucas Cumiskey

Archant

After the devastating fire at new build block of flats in West Hampstead yesterday saw families evacuated and five balconies destroyed, London Fire Brigade revealed they believe a discarded cigarette butt caused the blaze.

The brigade’s investigators said the fire was thought to have been started by a cigarette left in a plant pot on the balcony of the third floor of the Orwell building on Heritage Lane.

Firefighters have also issued a smoking safety warning after the inferno which left residents terrified.

The brigade said: “We would rather people didn’t smoke at all but if they do, vaping is a safer option.

“If you do choose to smoke cigarettes, it is absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express