West End Lane fire: Homes evacuated and road shut as blaze above West Hampstead takeaway damages flat
PUBLISHED: 18:22 08 June 2018 | UPDATED: 14:15 11 June 2018
Three dozen firefighters were called after a fire broke out above a Chinese restaurant in West Hampstead this afternoon.
The brigade was scrambled at about 3pm to put out the blaze affecting parts of a second floor flat and the roof above Gung Ho restaurant in West End Lane.
It is not believed anyone was hurt but, two hours on, a large section of the road was still cordoned off except to emergency services.
Neighbour Nikki Street, 21, was among those frustrated by being shut out of her home for two hours, but praised the emergency services for their quick response and keeping everyone safe.
“They had to break into our flat to check the fire hadn’t spread,” she added.
“The house is very damaged and seeing the extent we realise how much worse it could have been if reactions weren’t as quick.”
Six fire crews from West Hampstead, Kentish Town and Soho were sent to the scene.
The cause of the fire has not yet officially been made public, although neighbours had heard rumours hot oil was involved.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.