West End Lane fire: Homes evacuated and road shut as blaze above West Hampstead takeaway damages flat
- Credit: Archant
Three dozen firefighters were called after a fire broke out above a Chinese restaurant in West Hampstead this afternoon.
The brigade was scrambled at about 3pm to put out the blaze affecting parts of a second floor flat and the roof above Gung Ho restaurant in West End Lane.
It is not believed anyone was hurt but, two hours on, a large section of the road was still cordoned off except to emergency services.
Neighbour Nikki Street, 21, was among those frustrated by being shut out of her home for two hours, but praised the emergency services for their quick response and keeping everyone safe.
“They had to break into our flat to check the fire hadn’t spread,” she added.
You may also want to watch:
“The house is very damaged and seeing the extent we realise how much worse it could have been if reactions weren’t as quick.”
Six fire crews from West Hampstead, Kentish Town and Soho were sent to the scene.
- 1 'Real disappointment' over uptake of Covid vaccine among care home staff
- 2 Leila Roy tributes: 'We will miss her energy and her big heart'
- 3 Camden disabled resident on fears over Haverstock Hill cycle lanes
- 4 Two teenagers stabbed in Kilburn and South Hampstead in separate attacks
- 5 O2 Centre redevelopment consultation opened by Camden Council
- 6 Thanks, traffic, Women's Day, U3A, Haverstock Hill and Covid
- 7 Joe Montemurro full of praise for Jordan Nobbs following Arsenal's win over Aston Villa
- 8 Thames Water under fire for Highgate tree felling
- 9 'Dumped and forgotten': Homeless families on life in England's Lane hostel
- 10 Remembering 'positive, caring and kind' Hornsey pupil Amy
The cause of the fire has not yet officially been made public, although neighbours had heard rumours hot oil was involved.