West End Lane fire: Homes evacuated and road shut as blaze above West Hampstead takeaway damages flat
- Credit: Archant
Three dozen firefighters were called after a fire broke out above a Chinese restaurant in West Hampstead this afternoon.
The brigade was scrambled at about 3pm to put out the blaze affecting parts of a second floor flat and the roof above Gung Ho restaurant in West End Lane.
It is not believed anyone was hurt but, two hours on, a large section of the road was still cordoned off except to emergency services.
Neighbour Nikki Street, 21, was among those frustrated by being shut out of her home for two hours, but praised the emergency services for their quick response and keeping everyone safe.
“They had to break into our flat to check the fire hadn’t spread,” she added.
“The house is very damaged and seeing the extent we realise how much worse it could have been if reactions weren’t as quick.”
Six fire crews from West Hampstead, Kentish Town and Soho were sent to the scene.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 3 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 4 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 5 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 6 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 7 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 8 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 9 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 10 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
The cause of the fire has not yet officially been made public, although neighbours had heard rumours hot oil was involved.