West End Lane fire: Homes evacuated and road shut as blaze above West Hampstead takeaway damages flat
- Credit: Archant
Three dozen firefighters were called after a fire broke out above a Chinese restaurant in West Hampstead this afternoon.
The brigade was scrambled at about 3pm to put out the blaze affecting parts of a second floor flat and the roof above Gung Ho restaurant in West End Lane.
It is not believed anyone was hurt but, two hours on, a large section of the road was still cordoned off except to emergency services.
Neighbour Nikki Street, 21, was among those frustrated by being shut out of her home for two hours, but praised the emergency services for their quick response and keeping everyone safe.
“They had to break into our flat to check the fire hadn’t spread,” she added.
You may also want to watch:
“The house is very damaged and seeing the extent we realise how much worse it could have been if reactions weren’t as quick.”
Six fire crews from West Hampstead, Kentish Town and Soho were sent to the scene.
- 1 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 2 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Taste of Nawab: A community staple with Tripadvisor acclaim
- 4 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 6 Crouch End entrepreneur supports Moroccan women with textile business
- 7 High Court date set for disabled swimmer's challenge over ponds charges
- 8 Skyscraper plans rejected by Westminster Council over damage to views
- 9 New sixth form site for Westminster school gets go-ahead
- 10 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
The cause of the fire has not yet officially been made public, although neighbours had heard rumours hot oil was involved.