West End Lane fire: Homes evacuated and road shut as blaze above West Hampstead takeaway damages flat
- Credit: Archant
Three dozen firefighters were called after a fire broke out above a Chinese restaurant in West Hampstead this afternoon.
The brigade was scrambled at about 3pm to put out the blaze affecting parts of a second floor flat and the roof above Gung Ho restaurant in West End Lane.
It is not believed anyone was hurt but, two hours on, a large section of the road was still cordoned off except to emergency services.
Neighbour Nikki Street, 21, was among those frustrated by being shut out of her home for two hours, but praised the emergency services for their quick response and keeping everyone safe.
“They had to break into our flat to check the fire hadn’t spread,” she added.
You may also want to watch:
“The house is very damaged and seeing the extent we realise how much worse it could have been if reactions weren’t as quick.”
Six fire crews from West Hampstead, Kentish Town and Soho were sent to the scene.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 6 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
- 9 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'
- 10 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
The cause of the fire has not yet officially been made public, although neighbours had heard rumours hot oil was involved.