Wenger poses the big question: can Arsenal win the Premiership?
Arsenal rounded off their season with an emphatic victory - and with Arsene Wenger still insisting his team is improving. The Gunners were 3-0 up in less than 20 minutes as they got to work quickly on a Stoke side whose Premier League status was assured a
Arsenal rounded off their season with an emphatic victory - and with Arsene Wenger still insisting his team is improving.
The Gunners were 3-0 up in less than 20 minutes as they got to work quickly on a Stoke side whose Premier League status was assured a fortnight ago.
Stoke striker James Beattie accidentally turned in Cesc Fabregas' in the tenth minute to give the hosts the lead and Robin van Persie added a second from the spot six minutes later after he was felled by Ryan Shawcross.
The hosts continued their onslaught and lead 3-0 inside 18 minutes when Abou Diaby rose to head home van Persie's teasing free kick.
You may also want to watch:
Stoke's leading scorer Ricardo Fuller pulled one back just after the half hour mark with a penalty after Denilson tripped him in the box but van Persie, who is due for contract talks this week, completed the scoring four minutes before the break when he volleyed home neatly.
"I feel the team is moving forward but the question we have to analyse now is are we strong enough to win the league next year?" said Wenger afterwards.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 5 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 7 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
"If not, what do we need to add to the squad? That is the basic question we have to answer. There's some great quality here, that is for sure."
And he also thanked the fans after a rousing reception.
"It makes me feel appreciated and even more regretful that we couldn't give them what they wanted this season," he added.
"I am very respectful for their faith in me. It's very warming and it makes me even more determined to pay them back."