Wenger poses the big question: can Arsenal win the Premiership?
Arsenal rounded off their season with an emphatic victory - and with Arsene Wenger still insisting his team is improving. The Gunners were 3-0 up in less than 20 minutes as they got to work quickly on a Stoke side whose Premier League status was assured a
Arsenal rounded off their season with an emphatic victory - and with Arsene Wenger still insisting his team is improving.
The Gunners were 3-0 up in less than 20 minutes as they got to work quickly on a Stoke side whose Premier League status was assured a fortnight ago.
Stoke striker James Beattie accidentally turned in Cesc Fabregas' in the tenth minute to give the hosts the lead and Robin van Persie added a second from the spot six minutes later after he was felled by Ryan Shawcross.
The hosts continued their onslaught and lead 3-0 inside 18 minutes when Abou Diaby rose to head home van Persie's teasing free kick.
You may also want to watch:
Stoke's leading scorer Ricardo Fuller pulled one back just after the half hour mark with a penalty after Denilson tripped him in the box but van Persie, who is due for contract talks this week, completed the scoring four minutes before the break when he volleyed home neatly.
"I feel the team is moving forward but the question we have to analyse now is are we strong enough to win the league next year?" said Wenger afterwards.
- 1 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 6 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 7 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 10 Murder arrest after Primrose Hill woman dies from stab wounds
"If not, what do we need to add to the squad? That is the basic question we have to answer. There's some great quality here, that is for sure."
And he also thanked the fans after a rousing reception.
"It makes me feel appreciated and even more regretful that we couldn't give them what they wanted this season," he added.
"I am very respectful for their faith in me. It's very warming and it makes me even more determined to pay them back."