Wenger has better FA Cup record than any Arsenal manager
ARSENE Wenger enters his 12th FA Cup campaign with a better record than any previous Arsenal manager in the competition. After a shaky first season – in which his side were knocked out in the fourth round by Leeds United in 1997 – he has won the cup four
ARSENE Wenger enters his 12th FA Cup campaign with a better record than any previous Arsenal manager in the competition.
After a shaky first season - in which his side were knocked out in the fourth round by Leeds United in 1997 - he has won the cup four times, been a runner-up on another occasion and reached two more semis.
In 1998 he won the first of those four, 2-0 against Newcastle United, as his side clinched the double, and was a Dennis Bergkamp penalty miss away from taking on the Toon again the next year before Manchester United won a monumental semi-final replay at Villa Park courtesy of Ryan Giggs' brilliant solo effort.
A 1-2 loss to Liverpool in 2001 - a performance Wenger still claims is his side's best in any final under him, despite the scoreline - kicked off four appearances in five years at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.
You may also want to watch:
Chelsea were beaten 2-0 as a second double was completed in 2002 before Southampton were defeated 1-0 in a poor 2003 final.
The Gunners missed out in 2004 after another semi-final loss to United but came back the next year to beat Sir Alex Ferguson's side on penalties in the final.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 3 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 4 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 5 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
ARSENAL UNDER WENGER IN THE FA CUP
1997: Round 4
2000: Round 4
2006: Round 4
2007: Round 5