Wenger has better FA Cup record than any Arsenal manager
ARSENE Wenger enters his 12th FA Cup campaign with a better record than any previous Arsenal manager in the competition. After a shaky first season – in which his side were knocked out in the fourth round by Leeds United in 1997 – he has won the cup four
ARSENE Wenger enters his 12th FA Cup campaign with a better record than any previous Arsenal manager in the competition.
After a shaky first season - in which his side were knocked out in the fourth round by Leeds United in 1997 - he has won the cup four times, been a runner-up on another occasion and reached two more semis.
In 1998 he won the first of those four, 2-0 against Newcastle United, as his side clinched the double, and was a Dennis Bergkamp penalty miss away from taking on the Toon again the next year before Manchester United won a monumental semi-final replay at Villa Park courtesy of Ryan Giggs' brilliant solo effort.
A 1-2 loss to Liverpool in 2001 - a performance Wenger still claims is his side's best in any final under him, despite the scoreline - kicked off four appearances in five years at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.
You may also want to watch:
Chelsea were beaten 2-0 as a second double was completed in 2002 before Southampton were defeated 1-0 in a poor 2003 final.
The Gunners missed out in 2004 after another semi-final loss to United but came back the next year to beat Sir Alex Ferguson's side on penalties in the final.
- 1 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 4 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 7 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 8 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 9 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 10 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
ARSENAL UNDER WENGER IN THE FA CUP
1997: Round 4
2000: Round 4
2006: Round 4
2007: Round 5