WEMBLEY COUNTDOWN: United line-up includes a tantalising blend
Simon Jackson profiles United s likely line-up to face Tottenham A TANTALISING blend of age and youth is likely to feature in the Manchester United line-up that takes on the Spurs in Sunday s Carling Cup final at Wembley. Sir Alex Ferguson has used the e
Simon Jackson profiles United's likely line-up to face Tottenham
A TANTALISING blend of age and youth is likely to feature in the Manchester United line-up that takes on the Spurs in Sunday's Carling Cup final at Wembley.
Sir Alex Ferguson has used the earlier rounds to blood future stars and a cluster of talented youngsters have a great chance of stepping out at Wembley this weekend.
Pacy young striker Danny Welbeck has been in the squad in each of the earlier rounds, making four appearances.
You may also want to watch:
The 18-year-old Mancunian played in United's winter tour of Saudi Arabia and was part of the squad that travelled to Moscow for last year's Champions League final.
Belfast-born centre-back Jonny Evans is another to make four appearances in the competition's earlier rounds.
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 5 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 6 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 7 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
The 21-year-old Northern Ireland international has made 25 first-team appearances for the Reds after successful loan spells at Royal Antwerp and Sunderland.
Rodrigo Possebon, 20, has been a constant presence in the previous rounds, playing three times and twice as a named substitute. The Brazilian-born midfielder made his first-team appearance in the 1-1 draw with Newcastle last August.
Darron Gibson, a Republic of Ireland international, has impressed Ferguson this season, playing in each of the earlier rounds.
Gibson, 21, has made 12 first team appearances, scoring his first senior goal in the 3-0 win over Southampton in the third round of the FA Cup in January.
Reserve team captain James Chester, 20, made his first appearance for the Red Devils coming on as a second-half replacement for Gary Neville in United's emphatic 4-2 win over Derby County at Old Trafford in late January.
The rising stars have a terrific opportunity to enhance their first-team aspirations by producing a dazzling display at Wembley, alongside established stars such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Carlos Tevez and Nani.
This rampant trio of senior players have all been in outstanding form in recent weeks. Together, they have netted 11 of United's impressive 13-goal haul in the five preceding ties.