Snow worries for Haringey as temperature plummets
Council leader says grit bins are full as forecasters predict UK snowfall this week
HARINGEY is ready for the snow said the borough’s leader last night, as temperatures began to plummet across the country.
Snow is expected across the UK, with it making its way down towards the capital at the end of the week, but at a full council meeting last week, council leader Cllr Claire Kober told the town hall: “I’m confident that we have a full stock of grit in place and that we are working with other London authorities to ensure that if weather conditions should be particularly adverse, the grit should be shared across the capital.”
Last week the council’s housing arm Homes for Haringey announced estates were set for a “clear winter” after salt bins were purchased for all managed estates.
Almost 200 new yellow salt bins have been purchased along with approximately 38 tonnes of grit, said HfH. Each estate will have access to at least two 25kg pallets of salt and 10kg bags of white de-ice.
You may also want to watch:
Last month the council announced roads around Haringey schools have now become high priority for gritting teams during term time, as plans to add an extra 32 roads to the list of roads that are gritted first were revealed.
A council spokeswoman said town centre and residential care home pavements will also be a top priority, as will transport hubs like bus stations, hospitals and emergency service premises.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 8 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 9 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 10 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
An extra 44 grit bins will be installed around the borough providing a total of 147, added the spokeswoman.