We're proud to be part of the rejuvenated Bronx
IN your article (Telling a Bronx tale of life in Kentish Town (H&H June 14) you state: The Bronx, just north of Manhattan island, is a poor area of New York with high crime . Additionally, The Bronx is referred to as an infamous district. The infam
IN your article (Telling a Bronx tale of life in Kentish Town (H&H June 14) you state: ''The Bronx, just north of Manhattan island, is a poor area of New York with high crime''. Additionally, The Bronx is referred to as an ''infamous district.''
The infamy of the Bronx is in the past. Although the types of behaviour occurring in areas of Kentish Town have occurred in The Bronx (and in hundreds of places throughout the world), it is quite unfair to characterise the entire Bronx borough of millions of people in such a manner. Most areas of the Bronx are safe, middle class neighborhoods. It is an alive, vibrant, multicultural borough, with much to offer people.
The characterisation of The Bronx as unsafe has not been true for many years, but a reputation is hard to change. The Bronx has come quite a long way in the past 30 years, and Bronx residents are in general proud of their borough.
You may also want to watch:
long-time Bronx resident
AS someone born and raised in The Bronx, please lose the stereotypes and comparisons. They are as old as jokes about the British and bad teeth.
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 5 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 6 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 10 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
The Bronx has not seen images like the ones you describe since the 1970s.
We have rough spots, but they are far outnumbered by the good ones. Please educate your readers accordingly.
Fairfield Avenue, The Bronx
New York City