Watch out Lord Sugar: South Hampstead girls know how to fundraise
Business isn’t the natural territory of schoolgirls – but five South Hampstead School pupils are proving you’re never too young to conquer the market.
At just 12-years-old, Riya Gosrani, Izzy Lewis, Alex Willis and Molly Windust, and 13-year-old Alice Holt have set up a business, sewing and selling Hooty Owl cushions to raise money for a two-week hiking and charity trip to Romania next July.
They work from a little factory at the home of Molly’s mother Tracy McCarthy. But the project is less about sewing than selling.
The girls even get together and have pricing meetings.
Izzy said: “We don’t want to sell the cushions for too little because then you don’t make a profit. But you don’t want to have them so high that no-one buys them. I think it’s about finding a balance.”
You may also want to watch:
Molly added: “At my junior school there are loads of little children, so we lowered our prices for that.
“At the private school, we raised the prices.”
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 3 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 7 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 8 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 10 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
So far they have made and sold 300 cushions at school stalls – raising �3,000 towards their �4,360 goal.
*S The girl’s final sales are on Saturday (November 26) at South Hampstead High School’s Festive Fair from 1pm to 4pm and at the junior school’s Winter Wonderland from 2pm to 5pm.