Warning for NYE revellers heading to Parliament Hill and Primrose Hill
- Credit: Archant
Those intending to celebrate the beginning of 2017 atop Parliament Hill have been asked to travel in on foot to avoid clogging the roads.
Police are preparing for the traditional influx of revellers to Parliament Hill and Primrose Hill on New Year’s Eve.
They are urging people to travel by public transport and not to drive to the area.
Abandoned vehicles at last year’s celebrations caused traffic chaos and problems for the emergency services.
This year, police will close South Hill Park to vehicles from 10.00pm on December 31 for a couple of hours.
PC Nick Dayton, from Hampstead Town Safer Neighbourhood Team, said: “Following consultation with our partner emergency services and Camden Council, Hampstead Town police will be looking to restrict access to vehicles into the South Hill Park conservation area NW3, from 2200hrs on 31st December.”
He added: “If you are looking to view the fireworks on the Thames from Parliament Hill, please travel on foot or by public transport.”
- 1 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 2 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 3 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 4 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 5 How a stray Hampstead cat changed the life of artist Louis Wain
- 6 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 7 Nine of London's best vegan restaurants to try this Veganuary
- 8 Cirque du Soleil: Luzia Royal Albert Hall ****
- 9 Guilty: Woman stirred up racial hatred with social media posts on Grenfell
- 10 How the battle for Hampstead Heath inspired the National Trust
Tufnell Park tube station is short walk from Parliament Hill while those travelling to Primrose Hill are only a few minutes away from Chalk Farm or Camden Town stations.
Tubes are running through the night and partygoers can take advantage of free travel between 11.45pm and 4.30am.
Those making the annual pilgrimage should wrap up warm as temperatures are set to dip to four degrees Celsius on New Year’s Eve.