Waitrose opens new store in West Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
Waitrose opened a new store in West Hampstead early this morning.
Jane Brown, chair of the West Hampstead Women’s Centre, was chosen to unveil the new supermarket at the former site of Pizza Express in West End Lane.
The women’s centre will be one of three local causes - alongside the C4WS Homeless Project and the West Hampstead Community Centre - chosen to benefit from the Waitrose Community Matters scheme.
Ms Brown said: “It’s fantastic to be nominated to be part of the Community Matters scheme.
“The money raised by Waitrose will help the centre provide a wide variety of services to empower women, prevent isolation and bring women together in a safe and supportive space.”
You may also want to watch:
Nicky Clifford-Goss, store manager at Waitrose West Hampstead, added: “Waitrose continues to expand its reach within the capital and our new branch in West Hampstead will introduce the brand to an even wider audience.
“We hope that our new Little Waitrose will offer customers in the area a broader and more convenient shopping offer and we look forward to becoming part of the local community.”
The announcement that Waitrose was moving into West Hampstead was greeted with approval by estate agents a year ago as a sign the area was becoming increasingly affluent.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 6 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 7 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies