Video captures Crouch End crash
- Credit: Archant
A Crouch End driving instructor captured the exact moment that a car slammed into a shop after fleeing the police.
The film shows a dark car in the bottom left of the video suddenly crash about four seconds in.
Driving instructor Dean Batchelor keeps a video camera constantly running from his dashboard, partly for insurance purposes, but also because he hopes to capture something exciting on the roads.
When he first heard the sound of the crash, he had no idea what had happened.
“We pulled out of Middle Lane and turned right when we heard a loud bang,” the 31-year-old said.
You may also want to watch:
“I looked in my mirror and saw a car bounce off the wall.
“I just thought it was a normal accident - then I saw a police car and a man running away.”
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 Emergency services at Gospel Oak estate over safety concern
- 3 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 4 Famous Parliament Hill view still obscured as nesting birds delay work
- 5 Camden Council wrongly refused housing to domestic abuse victim
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 7 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 8 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 9 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 10 All's Well That Ends Well – al fresco
Mr Batchelor only realised what he had captured when he uploaded the footage at home.
“When I looked at the footage I was in shock,” Mr Batchelor said.
The driving instrutor sent it to his pupil, but he hopes that he won’t be pulling any similar stunts.
“I hope it’s a lesson he’s going to forget very shortly,” he said.
The video has now been viewed on Youtube nearly 19,000 times.
“It’s a nice bit of advertising; it doesn’t happen very often,” he said.
Police reported that officers in an unmarked car attempted to stop a vehicle at 10.20am on Monday.
A police spokesman said: “The driver failed to stop for police. The car subsequently collided with a building on Park Road and the driver fled the scene.
“The male driver was arrested a short time later on suspicion of drugs offences.”
Detectives from the Organised Crime Command are investigating.