Video captures Crouch End crash
- Credit: Archant
A Crouch End driving instructor captured the exact moment that a car slammed into a shop after fleeing the police.
The film shows a dark car in the bottom left of the video suddenly crash about four seconds in.
Driving instructor Dean Batchelor keeps a video camera constantly running from his dashboard, partly for insurance purposes, but also because he hopes to capture something exciting on the roads.
When he first heard the sound of the crash, he had no idea what had happened.
“We pulled out of Middle Lane and turned right when we heard a loud bang,” the 31-year-old said.
You may also want to watch:
“I looked in my mirror and saw a car bounce off the wall.
“I just thought it was a normal accident - then I saw a police car and a man running away.”
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 3 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
Mr Batchelor only realised what he had captured when he uploaded the footage at home.
“When I looked at the footage I was in shock,” Mr Batchelor said.
The driving instrutor sent it to his pupil, but he hopes that he won’t be pulling any similar stunts.
“I hope it’s a lesson he’s going to forget very shortly,” he said.
The video has now been viewed on Youtube nearly 19,000 times.
“It’s a nice bit of advertising; it doesn’t happen very often,” he said.
Police reported that officers in an unmarked car attempted to stop a vehicle at 10.20am on Monday.
A police spokesman said: “The driver failed to stop for police. The car subsequently collided with a building on Park Road and the driver fled the scene.
“The male driver was arrested a short time later on suspicion of drugs offences.”
Detectives from the Organised Crime Command are investigating.