Victory as covenant upheld for vehicles not to cross the Parkland Walk
- Credit: Archant
Stakeholders are celebrating a hard-fought victory in saving the Parkland Walk from being trampled over by vehicles working on a new mansion development.
Haringey Council announced it would keep its historic covenants and not allow motorised vehicles to cross the nature trail in order to access a development in Highgate.
This means construction vehicles will not drive across the nature trail in order to access the old railway cottage at 3 Francis Place, which banker Simon Eiseler intends to convert into a seven-bedroom home.
Friends of The Parkland Walk chairman Simon Olley said: “I’m ecstatic. I got involved with the Friends to do conservation work and the last two years all of my focus has been dealing with this one issue.
“We’re hoping that we can put this to bed and get on with positive work for the people who use [the Walk].
You may also want to watch:
“It’s such a weight off my mind.”
Treasurer Cathy Meeus paid tribute to the 2,500 members of the community who had signed the Friends of The Parkland Walk petition to call for Haringey Council to keep its 1993 covenant on the land.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Vivianne Miedema voted Women's Super League's greatest ever player
- 4 Arsenal boss Arteta faces injury crisis decisions
- 5 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 6 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 7 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 8 Tulip Siddiq MP: 'Nurseries are at the brink of collapse'
- 9 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 10 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
She thanked Cllr Bob Hare who had supported the stakeholder group throughout the process.
She said: “We’re pleased that the council has stuck by its covenant.
“I’m sure that had we not made such a huge fuss things might have have gone in a very different direction.
“This is a victory for the people in the community.”
Cllr Peray Ahmet said: “I am pleased Haringey has refused the request to allow vehicles to use London’s longest nature reserve Parkland Walk.
“We share our resident’s desire to protect green spaces in Haringey.
“This beautiful area will continue to be protected and used only by walkers, runners and cyclists.”
Friends of Parkland Walk treasurer Ms Meeus said she would continue to keep a close eye on any future construction plans at 3 Francis Place in Highgate, which is surrounded by the nature trail.
Haringey Council said major construction work cannot go forward at the moment.
Mr Eiseler has not responded to a request for comment on this latest development.
His agent, Alexia Kokorelia, previously highlighted that part of Parkland Walk would be made wheelchair accessible as a result of this project which will be a significant public benefit.