Vermaelen flies in to become Arsenal's first summer signing
Arsenal completed their first signing of the summer after confirming the arrival of Belgium international defender Thomas Vermaelen for an undisclosed fee from Ajax. The 23-year-old put pen to paper at Emirates on Friday afternoon after flying into Englan
Arsenal completed their first signing of the summer after confirming the arrival of Belgium international defender Thomas Vermaelen for an undisclosed fee from Ajax.
The 23-year-old put pen to paper at Emirates on Friday afternoon after flying into England with his agent Sjaak Swaart to meet his new boss Ars�ne Wenger.
Vermaelen said: "I'm just so happy to be joining Arsenal. This is a great Club with a world class manager, high quality players and a fantastic stadium.
"I have had a good taste of the Champions League during my time with Ajax and this is something I am looking forward to experiencing again with Arsenal.
You may also want to watch:
"I just want to assure the Arsenal fans that I will give everything for this Club and I hope we can enjoy winning some trophies together next season."
Wenger added: "Thomas is a great signing for Arsenal ... we are all delighted that he is joining us. Thomas will be a huge asset to Arsenal."
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 5 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 6 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 7 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 8 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 9 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 10 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
Vermaelen, who has spent five years in Amsterdam, will join his new teammates at pre-season training on July 6.