Vermaelen flies in to become Arsenal's first summer signing
Arsenal completed their first signing of the summer after confirming the arrival of Belgium international defender Thomas Vermaelen for an undisclosed fee from Ajax. The 23-year-old put pen to paper at Emirates on Friday afternoon after flying into Englan
Arsenal completed their first signing of the summer after confirming the arrival of Belgium international defender Thomas Vermaelen for an undisclosed fee from Ajax.
The 23-year-old put pen to paper at Emirates on Friday afternoon after flying into England with his agent Sjaak Swaart to meet his new boss Ars�ne Wenger.
Vermaelen said: "I'm just so happy to be joining Arsenal. This is a great Club with a world class manager, high quality players and a fantastic stadium.
"I have had a good taste of the Champions League during my time with Ajax and this is something I am looking forward to experiencing again with Arsenal.
You may also want to watch:
"I just want to assure the Arsenal fans that I will give everything for this Club and I hope we can enjoy winning some trophies together next season."
Wenger added: "Thomas is a great signing for Arsenal ... we are all delighted that he is joining us. Thomas will be a huge asset to Arsenal."
- 1 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 2 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 3 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 4 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 5 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 6 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 7 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 8 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 9 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
Vermaelen, who has spent five years in Amsterdam, will join his new teammates at pre-season training on July 6.