Vermaelen flies in to become Arsenal's first summer signing
Arsenal completed their first signing of the summer after confirming the arrival of Belgium international defender Thomas Vermaelen for an undisclosed fee from Ajax. The 23-year-old put pen to paper at Emirates on Friday afternoon after flying into Englan
Arsenal completed their first signing of the summer after confirming the arrival of Belgium international defender Thomas Vermaelen for an undisclosed fee from Ajax.
The 23-year-old put pen to paper at Emirates on Friday afternoon after flying into England with his agent Sjaak Swaart to meet his new boss Ars�ne Wenger.
Vermaelen said: "I'm just so happy to be joining Arsenal. This is a great Club with a world class manager, high quality players and a fantastic stadium.
"I have had a good taste of the Champions League during my time with Ajax and this is something I am looking forward to experiencing again with Arsenal.
You may also want to watch:
"I just want to assure the Arsenal fans that I will give everything for this Club and I hope we can enjoy winning some trophies together next season."
Wenger added: "Thomas is a great signing for Arsenal ... we are all delighted that he is joining us. Thomas will be a huge asset to Arsenal."
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 3 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music for 'healthy hedonists'
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 5 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 6 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 7 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 8 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 9 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 10 Sabrina Francis made Camden's first Black woman mayor
Vermaelen, who has spent five years in Amsterdam, will join his new teammates at pre-season training on July 6.