Usain Bolt and Stella McCartney help raise funds at London Zoo for the fastest animal in the world
The fastest man in the world Usain Bolt was joined by a host of stars at London Zoo to help raise money for one of the fastest animals on four legs.
The Olympic gold medallist hosted celebrities including Stella McCartney, Tamsin Egerton and Wretch32 at the gala at the zoo in Regent’s Park last Thursday, which raised more than �175,000 for the Zeitz Foundation and the Zoological Society of London (ZSL).
The money will be used to help protect habitats and ecosystems around the world, as well as conserve cheetahs and African wild dogs and the landscapes that support them.
Bolt, who donated a pair of his running shoes and a running vest to be auctioned off on the night, said: “I wanted to become a legend so it really made me think positive and work towards my goals. To keep moving and do what I got to do.”
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Bolt - a Zeitz Foundation ambassador - adopted a cheetah during a visit to Kenya in 2009.
You may also want to watch:
ZSL’s development director James Wren said: “We are absolutely delighted that the world’s fastest man joined ZSL in championing the cause of the world’s fastest animal.
“As well as donating the running top he wore when he won 100m Gold at the London Olympic Games for the event, Usain Bolt’s enthusiasm was demonstrated even further when he leapt on to the stage during the auction to help push the winning bid to over �30,000.”
- 1 Crouch End entrepreneur supports Moroccan women with textile business
- 2 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 3 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 4 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 7 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 8 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 9 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 10 For sale: Suggs' former 'bachelor pad' with gold-gilded underground bar