US Hampstead to get new police station as Boris Johnson closes station in Camden
- Credit: submitted
Boris Johnson may have put paid to hopes of any future for Hampstead police station last week – but across the Atlantic residents of an entirely different Hampstead received news that a brand new police station will be built in their town.
Last Thursday, as the Ham&High reported the Mayor of London’s decision to close Hampstead police station, The Eagle-Tribune told quite a different tale.
The daily newspaper, serving residents of Hampstead, in New Hampshire, America, reported that officials from the town in Rockingham County hoped to see a new police station “ready by spring”.
It followed a vote last month from Hampstead residents, which had a population of 8,523 in 2010, in support of proposals to build a taxpayer-funded $1.63million station to replace the town’s current police base.
According to The Eagle-Tribune the new station is estimated to be “three times bigger” than the current one, built in 1948, and equipped with cells, a training room and women’s locker rooms.
You may also want to watch:
It is enough to make campaigners back in London, keen to see the century-old station in Rossyln Hill saved for police use, green with envy.
But Belsize Conservative councillor Jonny Bucknell has not lost all hope and thinks a vote on keeping the police station open – like the poll of residents in New Hampshire - would be a good idea.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 5 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 6 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 7 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 8 Letters: The floods!
- 9 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
“I can understand where Boris is coming from – he has to make savings,” he said. “But I think a referendum for residents would be worthwhile. I hope there is still time to twist Boris’s arm on this.”