Unusual look for Dame Edna and Doctor Who in The Hobbit
Two Hampstead actors are set to hit cinema screens across the country tomorrow – but not as you know them.
Film fans will have to mentally peel back the layers of prosthetics and peer through lashings of special effects to recognise Barry Humphries and Sylvester McCoy in Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
For most of his career Mr Humphries has delighted and outraged audiences around the globe as the vainglorious, lilac-haired diva Dame Edna Everage.
But in the eagerly-anticipated fantasy epic, the West Hampstead resident appears as the Goblin King, an evil leader who dwells in the Misty Mountains.
Hampstead actor Mr McCoy, who was the seventh incarnation of the much-loved Dr Who, donned his wizard’s cloak and the necessary bulbous nose to play Gandalf’s ally Radagast The Brown.
You may also want to watch:
It might well be the biggest franchise that either has been involved in, so don’t blink or you’ll miss them.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 3 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 10 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden