Unusual look for Dame Edna and Doctor Who in The Hobbit
Two Hampstead actors are set to hit cinema screens across the country tomorrow – but not as you know them.
Film fans will have to mentally peel back the layers of prosthetics and peer through lashings of special effects to recognise Barry Humphries and Sylvester McCoy in Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
For most of his career Mr Humphries has delighted and outraged audiences around the globe as the vainglorious, lilac-haired diva Dame Edna Everage.
But in the eagerly-anticipated fantasy epic, the West Hampstead resident appears as the Goblin King, an evil leader who dwells in the Misty Mountains.
Hampstead actor Mr McCoy, who was the seventh incarnation of the much-loved Dr Who, donned his wizard’s cloak and the necessary bulbous nose to play Gandalf’s ally Radagast The Brown.
You may also want to watch:
It might well be the biggest franchise that either has been involved in, so don’t blink or you’ll miss them.
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 5 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 6 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
- 9 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again