Unlike Ken, I won't ignore large parts of London
Acutely aware that the last Mayor was content to ignore large parts of London, including Haringey, I d like to do better than that and update you on what I have been doing over the last month. I ve introduced the 24 hour Freedom Pass and given half price
Acutely aware that the last Mayor was content to ignore large parts of London, including Haringey, I'd like to do better than that and update you on what I have been doing over the last month.
I've introduced the 24 hour Freedom Pass and given half price bus travel to those on Income Support and Job Seeker's Allowance
Introduced 50 new police officers to patrol suburban stations and trains
Pledged to help fund legal action against the 3rd runway at Heathrow
You may also want to watch:
Launched a 'know your rights' campaign, to make older Londoners more aware of the benefits some are not currently claiming
Concluded a deal with rail companies to allow Oyster on their services later this year
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 7 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
Frozen the council tax for the first time in 8 years
Raised the U.S flag outside City Hall to celebrate the inauguration of Barack Obama
Helped appoint a new police Commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson, who will focus on knife crime, getting police out on the beat and fighting terrorism
I've started the New Year at City Hall with a laser-like focus on getting all Londoners through the economic downturn, and I will continue that as long as it takes. Now more than ever, politicians need to do everything they can to help. Just as Londoners have to tighten their belts, so must we. Therefore, I've found �100 million of savings across the GLA group, and frozen the council tax.
To get us through, my plan is to relieve the financial burden as much as possible in the short-term, and support the things that will help us come out stronger in the long term, like a better tube and Crossrail.
Even though the headlines may scream doom and gloom, I believe, just as Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore said in 'Apocalypse Now'; "One day this war will end". I will work day and night to ensure that happens.
Conservative Mayor of London
City Hall, SE1