Unlike Ken, I won't ignore large parts of London
Acutely aware that the last Mayor was content to ignore large parts of London, including Haringey, I d like to do better than that and update you on what I have been doing over the last month. I ve introduced the 24 hour Freedom Pass and given half price
Acutely aware that the last Mayor was content to ignore large parts of London, including Haringey, I'd like to do better than that and update you on what I have been doing over the last month.
I've introduced the 24 hour Freedom Pass and given half price bus travel to those on Income Support and Job Seeker's Allowance
Introduced 50 new police officers to patrol suburban stations and trains
Pledged to help fund legal action against the 3rd runway at Heathrow
You may also want to watch:
Launched a 'know your rights' campaign, to make older Londoners more aware of the benefits some are not currently claiming
Concluded a deal with rail companies to allow Oyster on their services later this year
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 3 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 6 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 7 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 8 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 9 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 10 Ozil travels to Turkey as Arsenal exit looms
Frozen the council tax for the first time in 8 years
Raised the U.S flag outside City Hall to celebrate the inauguration of Barack Obama
Helped appoint a new police Commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson, who will focus on knife crime, getting police out on the beat and fighting terrorism
I've started the New Year at City Hall with a laser-like focus on getting all Londoners through the economic downturn, and I will continue that as long as it takes. Now more than ever, politicians need to do everything they can to help. Just as Londoners have to tighten their belts, so must we. Therefore, I've found �100 million of savings across the GLA group, and frozen the council tax.
To get us through, my plan is to relieve the financial burden as much as possible in the short-term, and support the things that will help us come out stronger in the long term, like a better tube and Crossrail.
Even though the headlines may scream doom and gloom, I believe, just as Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore said in 'Apocalypse Now'; "One day this war will end". I will work day and night to ensure that happens.
Conservative Mayor of London
City Hall, SE1