Unlike Ken, I won't ignore large parts of London
Acutely aware that the last Mayor was content to ignore large parts of London, including Haringey, I d like to do better than that and update you on what I have been doing over the last month. I ve introduced the 24 hour Freedom Pass and given half price
Acutely aware that the last Mayor was content to ignore large parts of London, including Haringey, I'd like to do better than that and update you on what I have been doing over the last month.
I've introduced the 24 hour Freedom Pass and given half price bus travel to those on Income Support and Job Seeker's Allowance
Introduced 50 new police officers to patrol suburban stations and trains
Pledged to help fund legal action against the 3rd runway at Heathrow
You may also want to watch:
Launched a 'know your rights' campaign, to make older Londoners more aware of the benefits some are not currently claiming
Concluded a deal with rail companies to allow Oyster on their services later this year
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 10 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
Frozen the council tax for the first time in 8 years
Raised the U.S flag outside City Hall to celebrate the inauguration of Barack Obama
Helped appoint a new police Commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson, who will focus on knife crime, getting police out on the beat and fighting terrorism
I've started the New Year at City Hall with a laser-like focus on getting all Londoners through the economic downturn, and I will continue that as long as it takes. Now more than ever, politicians need to do everything they can to help. Just as Londoners have to tighten their belts, so must we. Therefore, I've found �100 million of savings across the GLA group, and frozen the council tax.
To get us through, my plan is to relieve the financial burden as much as possible in the short-term, and support the things that will help us come out stronger in the long term, like a better tube and Crossrail.
Even though the headlines may scream doom and gloom, I believe, just as Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore said in 'Apocalypse Now'; "One day this war will end". I will work day and night to ensure that happens.
Conservative Mayor of London
City Hall, SE1