Unlike Ken, I won't ignore large parts of London
Acutely aware that the last Mayor was content to ignore large parts of London, including Haringey, I d like to do better than that and update you on what I have been doing over the last month. I ve introduced the 24 hour Freedom Pass and given half price
Acutely aware that the last Mayor was content to ignore large parts of London, including Haringey, I'd like to do better than that and update you on what I have been doing over the last month.
I've introduced the 24 hour Freedom Pass and given half price bus travel to those on Income Support and Job Seeker's Allowance
Introduced 50 new police officers to patrol suburban stations and trains
Pledged to help fund legal action against the 3rd runway at Heathrow
You may also want to watch:
Launched a 'know your rights' campaign, to make older Londoners more aware of the benefits some are not currently claiming
Concluded a deal with rail companies to allow Oyster on their services later this year
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 5 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 6 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 7 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 10 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
Frozen the council tax for the first time in 8 years
Raised the U.S flag outside City Hall to celebrate the inauguration of Barack Obama
Helped appoint a new police Commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson, who will focus on knife crime, getting police out on the beat and fighting terrorism
I've started the New Year at City Hall with a laser-like focus on getting all Londoners through the economic downturn, and I will continue that as long as it takes. Now more than ever, politicians need to do everything they can to help. Just as Londoners have to tighten their belts, so must we. Therefore, I've found �100 million of savings across the GLA group, and frozen the council tax.
To get us through, my plan is to relieve the financial burden as much as possible in the short-term, and support the things that will help us come out stronger in the long term, like a better tube and Crossrail.
Even though the headlines may scream doom and gloom, I believe, just as Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore said in 'Apocalypse Now'; "One day this war will end". I will work day and night to ensure that happens.
Conservative Mayor of London
City Hall, SE1