Unlike Ken, I won't ignore large parts of London
Acutely aware that the last Mayor was content to ignore large parts of London, including Haringey, I d like to do better than that and update you on what I have been doing over the last month. I ve introduced the 24 hour Freedom Pass and given half price
Acutely aware that the last Mayor was content to ignore large parts of London, including Haringey, I'd like to do better than that and update you on what I have been doing over the last month.
I've introduced the 24 hour Freedom Pass and given half price bus travel to those on Income Support and Job Seeker's Allowance
Introduced 50 new police officers to patrol suburban stations and trains
Pledged to help fund legal action against the 3rd runway at Heathrow
Launched a 'know your rights' campaign, to make older Londoners more aware of the benefits some are not currently claiming
Concluded a deal with rail companies to allow Oyster on their services later this year
- 1 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 2 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 3 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 4 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 5 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 6 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 7 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 8 Family pay tribute to schoolgirl at West Hampstead bridge restoration
- 9 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 10 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
Frozen the council tax for the first time in 8 years
Raised the U.S flag outside City Hall to celebrate the inauguration of Barack Obama
Helped appoint a new police Commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson, who will focus on knife crime, getting police out on the beat and fighting terrorism
I've started the New Year at City Hall with a laser-like focus on getting all Londoners through the economic downturn, and I will continue that as long as it takes. Now more than ever, politicians need to do everything they can to help. Just as Londoners have to tighten their belts, so must we. Therefore, I've found �100 million of savings across the GLA group, and frozen the council tax.
To get us through, my plan is to relieve the financial burden as much as possible in the short-term, and support the things that will help us come out stronger in the long term, like a better tube and Crossrail.
Even though the headlines may scream doom and gloom, I believe, just as Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore said in 'Apocalypse Now'; "One day this war will end". I will work day and night to ensure that happens.
Conservative Mayor of London
City Hall, SE1