Unison conference condemns mass privatisation of Barnet Council services
Trade unionists will hold a conference to condemn what they call the mass privatisation of Barnet Council services on Saturday (July 8).
Barnet Unison claims up to 70 per cent of council staff could lose their jobs by May next year under council plans to outsource services under the One Barnet scheme that has been dubbed the ‘easyCouncil’ model by opponents.
The council has already outsourced parking services and its legal department, which has been transferred to Harrow Council.
Barnet Unison will host the Barnet Council Not For Sale conference in partnership with Barnet Alliance for Public Services.
Speakers include Professor Dexter Whitfield, of the European Services Strategy Unit, who recently published a report on the cost and consequences of councils who outsource.
You may also want to watch:
Campaigners who oppose the One Barnet model say the public has not been properly consulted on the plans.
John Burgess, branch secretary of Unison, said: “We are continuing to seek a meeting with councillors, in particular the members of the cabinet committee, regarding our concerns.”
- 1 Burglar of £100k watches and jewellery haul jailed
- 2 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 3 How many trees have been felled in the Parkland Walk?
- 4 Birthday Honours: Period Poverty campaigner Amika George becomes an MBE
- 5 Birthday Honours: Cllr Jonathan Simpson 'astonished' to be made MBE
- 6 Capita review could see Barnet Council services return in-house
- 7 Birthday Honours: Gongs for Arlene Phillips, Jonathan Pryce and Engelbert Humperdinck
- 8 5 days out in London where you can meet the animals
- 9 Food Bank Aid joins estate agent in fight to keep up with demand
- 10 Neighbours fight plan for 'out of character' flats above nursery
The council says One Barnet is a way of reducing costs while retaining the quality of services.
The conference will take place between noon and 3pm at the Greek Cypriot Centre in Britannia Road, North Finchley.