UK’s first Post Office in a church opened by Glenda Jackson in West Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
The UK’s first Post Office located inside a church was officially opened by Hampstead MP Glenda Jackson today.
St James Church, in Sherriff Road, West Hampstead, is now home to a “main-style” Post Office branch following the closure of the Post Office in West End Lane last month.
Ms Jackson paid a visit to the Post Office this morning, which is accompanied by a new café, gift shop, delicatessen and soft play area, to mark its opening.
She said: “The Post Office is vital to the community in West Hampstead and I’m sure that the new modern branch and the longer opening hours will be warmly welcomed by the community and parishioners alike.”
The new branch is open from Monday to Saturday, between 8am and 6pm.
You may also want to watch:
All profits from the new café and other facilities will be invested back into the community through new charity the Sherriff Centre, which will run carer and toddler groups, older person support and debt advice from the church.
St James vicar Father Andrew Cain, who runs the branch as postmaster, said: “I hope customers like their new home for West Hampstead Post Office and I look forward to the Sherriff Centre offering back to the community care and compassion for all who live here in West Hampstead.”
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 3 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 6 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 7 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill