Two convicted for causing the sadistic death of baby
A sadistic child abuser is facing jail for causing the death of a baby after a catalogue of failures by the same social services department which condemned Victoria Climbie to death. The boy's mother ignored his agony as her 32-year-old boyfriend treated
A sadistic child abuser is facing jail for causing the death of a baby after a catalogue of failures by the same social services department which condemned Victoria Climbie to death.
The boy's mother ignored his agony as her 32-year-old boyfriend treated the 17-month-old toddler 'like a punchbag' for more than nine months.
The child was on the 'at risk' register with Haringey Social Services in north London and was admitted to hospital or examined by doctors 13 times when he was showing clear signs of abuse.
He finally died after having his back broken with the level of force usually only suffered by victims of a car crash.
You may also want to watch:
Some of the social workers in the case had been directly involved in the Victoria Climbie fiasco.
Despite regular visits the social work team assigned to the case had no idea the boyfriend even lived at the brand new council house they had been given.
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 5 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 6 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 7 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
A jury convicted the boyfriend of causing or allowing the death of a child after clearing him of both murder and manslaughter.
The mother was originally charged with murder but the charge was thrown out by the judge at the close of the evidence.
She had admitted allowing the death of a child on the first day of the Old Bailey trial.
Lodger Jason Owen, 36, was also convicted of causing or allowing the death of a child.
He was cleared of murder on the direction of the judge at the same time as the mother.
All three will now be sentenced on December 15.