Turn back time and make Parkland Walk a rail link
THE doubtful improvement to the Parkland Walk has created local concern and even a Ham&High editorial posing the question Why change it? The local Lib Dem MP has sought to make political capital out of the Labour council s proposals. But nowhere has t
THE doubtful 'improvement' to the Parkland Walk has created local concern and even a Ham&High editorial posing the question "Why change it?"
The local Lib Dem MP has sought to make political capital out of the Labour council's proposals. But nowhere has there been any recognition of what the Parkland Walk represents - an abandoned rail line which, if reinstated, would provide a transport link now lacking between Finsbury Park, Highgate, Muswell Hill and Alexandra Palace.
The transport situation has materially altered since trains last ran, as the congestion in Stroud Green, Highgate and Muswell Hill demonstrates. The need for a direct link with Alexandra Palace becomes imperative if the resurgence of the Palace, to the benefit of the borough, is to be achieved.
The Muswell Hill Metro Group has long campaigned for a light rail line along the Parkland Walk, and produced a timetable for rapid transport to Finsbury Park, giving an alternative to the Northern Line from Highgate. Such a line would provide a footpath alongside the tracks with the advantage of protection for the green areas.
You may also want to watch:
The passage of trains would be a deterrent to joyriders, burglars and muggers featured in the press from time to time.
ERNEST E NICE
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 3 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 4 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 5 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 6 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 7 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 8 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 9 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 10 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
Clarence Road, N22