Turn back time and make Parkland Walk a rail link
THE doubtful improvement to the Parkland Walk has created local concern and even a Ham&High editorial posing the question Why change it? The local Lib Dem MP has sought to make political capital out of the Labour council s proposals. But nowhere has t
THE doubtful 'improvement' to the Parkland Walk has created local concern and even a Ham&High editorial posing the question "Why change it?"
The local Lib Dem MP has sought to make political capital out of the Labour council's proposals. But nowhere has there been any recognition of what the Parkland Walk represents - an abandoned rail line which, if reinstated, would provide a transport link now lacking between Finsbury Park, Highgate, Muswell Hill and Alexandra Palace.
The transport situation has materially altered since trains last ran, as the congestion in Stroud Green, Highgate and Muswell Hill demonstrates. The need for a direct link with Alexandra Palace becomes imperative if the resurgence of the Palace, to the benefit of the borough, is to be achieved.
The Muswell Hill Metro Group has long campaigned for a light rail line along the Parkland Walk, and produced a timetable for rapid transport to Finsbury Park, giving an alternative to the Northern Line from Highgate. Such a line would provide a footpath alongside the tracks with the advantage of protection for the green areas.
You may also want to watch:
The passage of trains would be a deterrent to joyriders, burglars and muggers featured in the press from time to time.
ERNEST E NICE
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 10 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
Clarence Road, N22