Triple whammy in Kilburn gives Camden Labour a great start
SUSANNA WILKEY REPORTS: LABOUR has romped to victory in the first three seats of the Camden Council local elections currently being counted at Haverstock School in Chalk Farm. They have claimed all three seats in Kilburn, ousting Liberal Democrats Janet Grauberg and James King,
LABOUR has romped to victory in the first three seats of the Camden Council local elections currently being counted at Haverstock School in Chalk Farm.
They have claimed all three seats in Kilburn, ousting Liberal Democrats Janet Grauberg and James King, as well as taking three seats in King's Cross and two in Highgate, encroaching on the Green's territory.
Leader of the Labour group Cllr Nasim Ali said: "It is a great start and Kilburn was a great place to start. We are really pleased."
King's Cross councillor Jonathan Simpson is thrilled to have been re-elected and believes the Labour group can take back overall control on Camden Council from the Lib Dem Conservative coalition.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "I definitely think we can do it. We might need to win Haverstock on May 25 but there is every indication we can do it without."
Re-elected Highgate councillor Maya de Souza is pleased to have kept her seat but disappointed the Green party could not hold the ward.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 10 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
She said: "This has not been a good night for us with the general elections on the same day but we did get the highest vote in the ward and we had a good performance considering.