Triple whammy in Kilburn gives Camden Labour a great start
SUSANNA WILKEY REPORTS: LABOUR has romped to victory in the first three seats of the Camden Council local elections currently being counted at Haverstock School in Chalk Farm. They have claimed all three seats in Kilburn, ousting Liberal Democrats Janet Grauberg and James King,
LABOUR has romped to victory in the first three seats of the Camden Council local elections currently being counted at Haverstock School in Chalk Farm.
They have claimed all three seats in Kilburn, ousting Liberal Democrats Janet Grauberg and James King, as well as taking three seats in King's Cross and two in Highgate, encroaching on the Green's territory.
Leader of the Labour group Cllr Nasim Ali said: "It is a great start and Kilburn was a great place to start. We are really pleased."
King's Cross councillor Jonathan Simpson is thrilled to have been re-elected and believes the Labour group can take back overall control on Camden Council from the Lib Dem Conservative coalition.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "I definitely think we can do it. We might need to win Haverstock on May 25 but there is every indication we can do it without."
Re-elected Highgate councillor Maya de Souza is pleased to have kept her seat but disappointed the Green party could not hold the ward.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 10 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
She said: "This has not been a good night for us with the general elections on the same day but we did get the highest vote in the ward and we had a good performance considering.