Triple whammy in Kilburn gives Camden Labour a great start
SUSANNA WILKEY REPORTS: LABOUR has romped to victory in the first three seats of the Camden Council local elections currently being counted at Haverstock School in Chalk Farm. They have claimed all three seats in Kilburn, ousting Liberal Democrats Janet Grauberg and James King,
LABOUR has romped to victory in the first three seats of the Camden Council local elections currently being counted at Haverstock School in Chalk Farm.
They have claimed all three seats in Kilburn, ousting Liberal Democrats Janet Grauberg and James King, as well as taking three seats in King's Cross and two in Highgate, encroaching on the Green's territory.
Leader of the Labour group Cllr Nasim Ali said: "It is a great start and Kilburn was a great place to start. We are really pleased."
King's Cross councillor Jonathan Simpson is thrilled to have been re-elected and believes the Labour group can take back overall control on Camden Council from the Lib Dem Conservative coalition.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "I definitely think we can do it. We might need to win Haverstock on May 25 but there is every indication we can do it without."
Re-elected Highgate councillor Maya de Souza is pleased to have kept her seat but disappointed the Green party could not hold the ward.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 3 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 7 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 8 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Injury concerns spoil Arsenal's win over Sheffield United
She said: "This has not been a good night for us with the general elections on the same day but we did get the highest vote in the ward and we had a good performance considering.