TRIFLEGATE: I thought comments like this had disappeared forever
Cllr Brian Haley s description of Lib Dem councillor Laura Edge as a trifle: very sweet but lightweight is a throwback to the age of Carry On movies and working men s clubs that I thought had gone forever. His comment was as inappropriate as a refe
Cllr Brian Haley's description of Lib Dem councillor Laura Edge as ''a trifle: very sweet but lightweight'' is a throwback to the age of 'Carry On' movies and working men's clubs that I thought had gone forever.
His comment was as inappropriate as a reference to an individual's colour and has no place in contemporary politics.
It is disappointing that the ruling Labour Party's own Sid James stated that he would not have made the remark had he known what the reaction would be: not that it was in itself offensive.
It is unfortunate that the proposal by Cllr Edge to allow a one-hour multi-trip bus pass has been overshadowed by the name calling as it is in essence a good plan which operates well in many countries.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Haley's foot in mouth remark is not unique. Earlier this year he criticised Westminster Council for increasing parking charges by 33 per cent, having presided over increases of in excess of 100 per cent in parts of Haringey. Unbowed, he likened himself to a toffee apple: ''sweet and sticky but tough on the inside.'' Some might see him more as a souffle - full of hot air and lacking substance.
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 3 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 6 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
Redston Road, N8