TRIFLEGATE: I thought comments like this had disappeared forever
Cllr Brian Haley s description of Lib Dem councillor Laura Edge as a trifle: very sweet but lightweight is a throwback to the age of Carry On movies and working men s clubs that I thought had gone forever. His comment was as inappropriate as a refe
Cllr Brian Haley's description of Lib Dem councillor Laura Edge as ''a trifle: very sweet but lightweight'' is a throwback to the age of 'Carry On' movies and working men's clubs that I thought had gone forever.
His comment was as inappropriate as a reference to an individual's colour and has no place in contemporary politics.
It is disappointing that the ruling Labour Party's own Sid James stated that he would not have made the remark had he known what the reaction would be: not that it was in itself offensive.
It is unfortunate that the proposal by Cllr Edge to allow a one-hour multi-trip bus pass has been overshadowed by the name calling as it is in essence a good plan which operates well in many countries.
Cllr Haley's foot in mouth remark is not unique. Earlier this year he criticised Westminster Council for increasing parking charges by 33 per cent, having presided over increases of in excess of 100 per cent in parts of Haringey. Unbowed, he likened himself to a toffee apple: ''sweet and sticky but tough on the inside.'' Some might see him more as a souffle - full of hot air and lacking substance.
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 3 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 4 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 5 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 6 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 7 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 8 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 9 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 10 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
Redston Road, N8