TRIFLEGATE: I thought comments like this had disappeared forever
Cllr Brian Haley s description of Lib Dem councillor Laura Edge as a trifle: very sweet but lightweight is a throwback to the age of Carry On movies and working men s clubs that I thought had gone forever. His comment was as inappropriate as a refe
Cllr Brian Haley's description of Lib Dem councillor Laura Edge as ''a trifle: very sweet but lightweight'' is a throwback to the age of 'Carry On' movies and working men's clubs that I thought had gone forever.
His comment was as inappropriate as a reference to an individual's colour and has no place in contemporary politics.
It is disappointing that the ruling Labour Party's own Sid James stated that he would not have made the remark had he known what the reaction would be: not that it was in itself offensive.
It is unfortunate that the proposal by Cllr Edge to allow a one-hour multi-trip bus pass has been overshadowed by the name calling as it is in essence a good plan which operates well in many countries.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Haley's foot in mouth remark is not unique. Earlier this year he criticised Westminster Council for increasing parking charges by 33 per cent, having presided over increases of in excess of 100 per cent in parts of Haringey. Unbowed, he likened himself to a toffee apple: ''sweet and sticky but tough on the inside.'' Some might see him more as a souffle - full of hot air and lacking substance.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 10 Ice cream shop supporting freelancers opens in Primose Hill
Redston Road, N8