TRIFLEGATE: I thought comments like this had disappeared forever
Cllr Brian Haley s description of Lib Dem councillor Laura Edge as a trifle: very sweet but lightweight is a throwback to the age of Carry On movies and working men s clubs that I thought had gone forever. His comment was as inappropriate as a refe
Cllr Brian Haley's description of Lib Dem councillor Laura Edge as ''a trifle: very sweet but lightweight'' is a throwback to the age of 'Carry On' movies and working men's clubs that I thought had gone forever.
His comment was as inappropriate as a reference to an individual's colour and has no place in contemporary politics.
It is disappointing that the ruling Labour Party's own Sid James stated that he would not have made the remark had he known what the reaction would be: not that it was in itself offensive.
It is unfortunate that the proposal by Cllr Edge to allow a one-hour multi-trip bus pass has been overshadowed by the name calling as it is in essence a good plan which operates well in many countries.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Haley's foot in mouth remark is not unique. Earlier this year he criticised Westminster Council for increasing parking charges by 33 per cent, having presided over increases of in excess of 100 per cent in parts of Haringey. Unbowed, he likened himself to a toffee apple: ''sweet and sticky but tough on the inside.'' Some might see him more as a souffle - full of hot air and lacking substance.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 10 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
Redston Road, N8