Tributes to iconic cricket figure Alec Bedser
MARYLEBONE Cricket Club has paid tribute to the former England bowler Sir Alec Bedser, who died on April 4 aged 91. Sir Alec was elected an honorary life member of the club in 1961 and appears three times on the Lord s honours boards. He took 7-49 on his
MARYLEBONE Cricket Club has paid tribute to the former England bowler Sir Alec Bedser, who died on April 4 aged 91.
Sir Alec was elected an honorary life member of the club in 1961 and appears three times on the Lord's honours boards.
He took 7-49 on his debut against India in 1946, and also 5-105 against Australia in 1953. In total he took a remarkable 39 wickets in the series, as England reclaimed the Ashes. Sir Alec became the 24th honorary life vice-president of MCC in 1999 and sat on the committee from 1981 to 1984 and the cricket committee from 1963 to 1990.
Keith Bradshaw, MCC secretary and chief executive, said: "Sir Alec was a close personal friend to me but he was also cherished by the whole club. Both as a player and an administrator he gave so much to the game, and we will miss him dearly.
You may also want to watch:
"He was an iconic figure in the post-war era, and one that the cricketing world will be all the poorer without."
Sir Alec was knighted in 1997 and also was awarded a CBE in 1982 and an OBE in 1964. MCC's flag is flying at half-mast.
- 1 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 2 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 4 Taste of Nawab: A community staple with Tripadvisor acclaim
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 6 Crouch End entrepreneur supports Moroccan women with textile business
- 7 High Court date set for disabled swimmer's challenge over ponds charges
- 8 Skyscraper plans rejected by Westminster Council over damage to views
- 9 Man stabbed on Finchley Road
- 10 New sixth form site for Westminster school gets go-ahead