Tributes to Child's Hill murder victim
Friends have paid tribute to an Albanian builder gunned down in cold blood on Hendon Way during rush hour.Nezir Golaj, of Garth Road, Child's Hill was shot dead on Thursday morning in the middle of the A41 as he sat in his car at around 8.30am.
Friends have paid tribute to an Albanian builder gunned down in cold blood on Hendon Way during rush hour.
Nezir Golaj, of Garth Road, Child's Hill was shot dead on Thursday morning in the middle of the A41 as he sat in his car at around 8.30am.
One friend, who asked to remain anonymous told the Ham&High: "Nezir was a respected member of the Albanian community. No one did more than him for the community. He was one of the best people. It is very upsetting."
Another said: "This murder has shocked friends, relatives, colleagues and the whole Albanian community in London."
You may also want to watch:
Scotland Yard has opened a murder investigation with specialist detectives drafted in to look into the killing.
Police, paramedics and an air ambulance rushed to the scene and found Mr Golaj with multiple gun shot wounds.
- 1 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 2 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 3 Taste of Nawab: A community staple with Tripadvisor acclaim
- 4 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 6 'She means the world': Councillor's plea to bring home missing cat Evey
- 7 Skyscraper plans rejected by Westminster Council over damage to views
- 8 Man stabbed on Finchley Road
- 9 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 10 'Real harm to wildlife': Invasive crayfish in Hampstead Heath Ponds
The A41 remained closed to traffic until the afternoon as forensic officers carried out a finger tip search of the scene.
Barnet Borough Commander Neil Basu moved to allay fears in the aftermath of the shooting.
Chief Supt Basu said: "I understand the community will be anxious about the recent fatal shooting in Child's Hill. I would firstly like to extend the sympathy of myself and my colleagues to the family of the victim and those who have been affected.
"Police strongly believe the parties involved in this incident were known to each other and this was not a random shooting. Police are not aware of any specific threat to the general public and such incidents remain rare in Barnet.
"Rest assured that many dedicated police officers will be working hard to ensure the safety of Barnet residents and to bring those responsible to justice."
Any witnesses or anyone with any information can call the Metropolitan Police Service on 0300 123 1212 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
There have been no arrests at this time.
Updates to follow.