Tree falling in Belsize Park sounded like “bomb going off”
THE serenity of a quiet street in Belsize Park was interrupted yesterday, when a huge tree came crashing down, smashing through railings and into a van.
Residents in Primrose Gardens were left stunned after the tree fell yesterday lunch time, causing serious damage to railings and the roof of a van parked nearby. Jeremy Hoare was working at his computer when he heard a commotion.
“I was sitting at the computer and then I heard the tree going down. It was like a bomb going off,” Mr Hoare told the Ham&High.
“I’ve lived here for 25 years and the tree has always been there and then it suddenly came down. It was huge – probably 50 or 60ft. It was quite an event in Primrose Gardens.”
Belsize Park resident Alan Melkman, 66, was visiting his son who lives in Primrose Gardens.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “People were very surprised. The wind wasn’t blowing that hard and these things normally happen at night whereas this was in the middle of the day. The roof of the van was quite badly damaged.”
For more on this story see the Ham&High on Thursday (January 20).
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 7 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate