Tree falling in Belsize Park sounded like “bomb going off”
THE serenity of a quiet street in Belsize Park was interrupted yesterday, when a huge tree came crashing down, smashing through railings and into a van.
Residents in Primrose Gardens were left stunned after the tree fell yesterday lunch time, causing serious damage to railings and the roof of a van parked nearby. Jeremy Hoare was working at his computer when he heard a commotion.
“I was sitting at the computer and then I heard the tree going down. It was like a bomb going off,” Mr Hoare told the Ham&High.
“I’ve lived here for 25 years and the tree has always been there and then it suddenly came down. It was huge – probably 50 or 60ft. It was quite an event in Primrose Gardens.”
Belsize Park resident Alan Melkman, 66, was visiting his son who lives in Primrose Gardens.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “People were very surprised. The wind wasn’t blowing that hard and these things normally happen at night whereas this was in the middle of the day. The roof of the van was quite badly damaged.”
For more on this story see the Ham&High on Thursday (January 20).
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 3 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 4 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 5 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 6 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 7 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green
- 8 Seven things to do in Hampstead and Highgate after May 17
- 9 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient