Travel campaign bid to make Haringey your Oyster
A campaign has been launched to enable Haringey residents to be able to use their pay-as-you-go Oyster cards on local trains. On Wednesday, Lib Dem MP Lynne Featherstone teamed up with local councillors, Liberal Democrat GLA member Caroline Pidgeon and A
A campaign has been launched to enable Haringey residents to be able to use their pay-as-you-go Oyster cards on local trains.
On Wednesday, Lib Dem MP Lynne Featherstone teamed up with local councillors, Liberal Democrat GLA member Caroline Pidgeon and Alexandra by-election candidate Nigel Scott at Alexandra Palace station, to launch the project.
They are campaigning for Transport for London (TfL) and First Capital Connect to extend pay-as-you-go Oyster card travel to Harringay, Hornsey, Alexandra Palace and Bowes Park stations.
Currently pay-as-you-go (PAYG) passengers can only use their Oyster cards south of Finsbury Park. Residents using Harringay, Hornsey, Alexandra Palace and Bowes Park stations have to buy a more expensive ticket at the station or have Oyster card travel passes.
You may also want to watch:
Promises by the organisations involved have failed to materialise as dates to install PAYG machines have come and gone. The postcard responses collected will be presented to officals to demonstrate the level of support locally.
Nigel Scott, Liberal Democrat Alexandra by-election candidate, commented:
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 5 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 6 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 7 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
"Residents want and should have the right to use their pay-as-you-go Oyster cards on the line north of Finsbury Park. It would make travel more flexible for current users and attract more people to use public transport. This will be key part of my campaign to let the people of Alexandra have this right."
Lynne Featherstone MP added: "Speaking to people on their commute this morning it's clear that they really want Oyster pay-as-you-go on our trains. Its time TFL and First Capital Connect stop dragging their heels and commit to a date."
Caroline Pidgeon AM, Liberal Democrat Assembly Member, added:
"It's encouraging we've finally heard there's movements in the right direction on this but what we need now is a commitment on an exact time frame to ensure PAYG is introduced on this line as soon as possible.