Tragedy on the Heath as male swan dies
- Credit: Archant
One of the Heath’s last remaining male swans has died in a tragic flight accident.
The male cob, named Mr Newbie by swan lovers, was flying with his female mate Pen towards Highgate Number 1 Pond when he the accident happened.
Photographer Ron Vester, who has taken thousands of pictures of the swans on Hampstead Heath, said: “The cob hit a building and sadly died on the spot soon after.
“This male some five or six years a resident on heath was a dominant character walkers have watched his adventures over the years,” he said.”
He said the female swan Pen went back to The Model Boating pond and was seen searching for her mate.
You may also want to watch:
“Now only one swan family remain on the Hampstead ponds,” he said.
This photograph was taken by Mr Vester, nicknamed Swan Vester for his love of the swans, the last time he saw the family together a day before the accident.
- 1 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 2 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 3 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 4 Hampstead bakery sells challah hearts for Mental Health Awareness Week
- 5 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 6 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 7 Reader letter: Rubbish bins in Camden need 'levelling up'
- 8 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 9 Bishopwood Bowling Club hopes to create new image for the sport
- 10 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
The other picture shows Pen who was returned by a sanctuary volunteer to the Model Boating Pond.