Tragedy on the Heath as male swan dies
- Credit: Archant
One of the Heath’s last remaining male swans has died in a tragic flight accident.
The male cob, named Mr Newbie by swan lovers, was flying with his female mate Pen towards Highgate Number 1 Pond when he the accident happened.
Photographer Ron Vester, who has taken thousands of pictures of the swans on Hampstead Heath, said: “The cob hit a building and sadly died on the spot soon after.
“This male some five or six years a resident on heath was a dominant character walkers have watched his adventures over the years,” he said.”
He said the female swan Pen went back to The Model Boating pond and was seen searching for her mate.
“Now only one swan family remain on the Hampstead ponds,” he said.
This photograph was taken by Mr Vester, nicknamed Swan Vester for his love of the swans, the last time he saw the family together a day before the accident.
- 1 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 2 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 3 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 4 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 5 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 6 Could Adama Traore be on his way to Tottenham?
- 7 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 8 Discover north London’s ‘lost’ synagogue
- 9 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 10 Aldi tight-lipped about potential Finchley Road store at O2 Centre site
The other picture shows Pen who was returned by a sanctuary volunteer to the Model Boating Pond.