Tragedy on the Heath as male swan dies
- Credit: Archant
One of the Heath’s last remaining male swans has died in a tragic flight accident.
The male cob, named Mr Newbie by swan lovers, was flying with his female mate Pen towards Highgate Number 1 Pond when he the accident happened.
Photographer Ron Vester, who has taken thousands of pictures of the swans on Hampstead Heath, said: “The cob hit a building and sadly died on the spot soon after.
“This male some five or six years a resident on heath was a dominant character walkers have watched his adventures over the years,” he said.”
He said the female swan Pen went back to The Model Boating pond and was seen searching for her mate.
You may also want to watch:
“Now only one swan family remain on the Hampstead ponds,” he said.
This photograph was taken by Mr Vester, nicknamed Swan Vester for his love of the swans, the last time he saw the family together a day before the accident.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 9 Camden, Haringey and Barnet mark Holocaust Memorial Day
- 10 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
The other picture shows Pen who was returned by a sanctuary volunteer to the Model Boating Pond.