Tragedy on the Heath as male swan dies
- Credit: Archant
One of the Heath’s last remaining male swans has died in a tragic flight accident.
The male cob, named Mr Newbie by swan lovers, was flying with his female mate Pen towards Highgate Number 1 Pond when he the accident happened.
Photographer Ron Vester, who has taken thousands of pictures of the swans on Hampstead Heath, said: “The cob hit a building and sadly died on the spot soon after.
“This male some five or six years a resident on heath was a dominant character walkers have watched his adventures over the years,” he said.”
He said the female swan Pen went back to The Model Boating pond and was seen searching for her mate.
You may also want to watch:
“Now only one swan family remain on the Hampstead ponds,” he said.
This photograph was taken by Mr Vester, nicknamed Swan Vester for his love of the swans, the last time he saw the family together a day before the accident.
- 1 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 2 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 3 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 4 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
- 8 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 9 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
The other picture shows Pen who was returned by a sanctuary volunteer to the Model Boating Pond.