Tragedy on the Heath as male swan dies
- Credit: Archant
One of the Heath’s last remaining male swans has died in a tragic flight accident.
The male cob, named Mr Newbie by swan lovers, was flying with his female mate Pen towards Highgate Number 1 Pond when he the accident happened.
Photographer Ron Vester, who has taken thousands of pictures of the swans on Hampstead Heath, said: “The cob hit a building and sadly died on the spot soon after.
“This male some five or six years a resident on heath was a dominant character walkers have watched his adventures over the years,” he said.”
He said the female swan Pen went back to The Model Boating pond and was seen searching for her mate.
“Now only one swan family remain on the Hampstead ponds,” he said.
This photograph was taken by Mr Vester, nicknamed Swan Vester for his love of the swans, the last time he saw the family together a day before the accident.
- 1 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 2 Unarmed man shot by police during prison break was ‘lawfully killed’
- 3 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 4 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 5 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 6 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 7 'Hostility for LGBT+ people': Mike Freer resigns from Boris Johnson's government
- 8 George Michael’s Highgate piano sells for £200,000
- 9 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 10 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
The other picture shows Pen who was returned by a sanctuary volunteer to the Model Boating Pond.