'Unacceptable' that Hampstead station closed
- Credit: Archant
Transport for London (TfL) has been accused of "riding roughshod" over Northern Line tube users for closing Hampstead station across two days.
Hampstead Station was closed on Monday (January 31) and Tuesday due to the unavailability of staff.
TfL said it reopened the station at 3pm on both afternoons.
Cllr Oliver Cooper (Con, Hampstead) said: "Hampstead Station and the Northern Line have been treated by TfL as a Cinderella line and have been the first to cut and first to close whenever there are shortages or difficulties.
"TfL should have informed people that the station was closed. They could plan accordingly but even their website still says that Hampstead is open.
"It's unacceptable that TfL rides roughshod over Northern Line users."
A TfL spokesperson said: "I’d like to apologise to customers who have been impacted by the closure of Hampstead station while we deal with short notice staff absences.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 3 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 4 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 5 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 6 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 7 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 8 Cartoonist creates celebrity tube stops
- 9 Monkeypox: 7 patients in Homerton and Royal Free hospitals
- 10 Man wanted after serious assault in Sussex 'may live in Camden'
"We’re doing all we can to ensure that the station is staffed and stays open but advise everyone to check our website and the TfL Go app before they travel.”
They added: “Helping people move around London safely and easily is our priority and we do everything we possibly can to keep lines and stations across the network running a good service.
"At the height of the pandemic in 2020, we made the difficult decision to temporarily close 40 London Underground stations due to staff shortages, and we reopened these stations as soon as we could.
"Those that were closed were predominantly ones that have no interchange, lower customer numbers, and alternate stations in close proximity.
"We thank customers for their understanding while we dealt with pandemic-related staff shortages and encourage them to check before they travel.”
Customers affected by Hampstead station's closure can take the 268 bus to Golders Green station, 46 bus towards Belsize Park station or Swiss Cottage for the Jubilee line, or take a 12 minute walk to Hampstead Heath station.