Tottenham’s Alli banned over coronavirus joke
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Tottenham and England midfielder Dele Alli has been banned for one match for a post made on social media about coronavirus.
The 24-year-old joked about the pandemic during a video on Snapchat in February and has been fined £50,000.
He will undergo an education course and miss Tottenham’s first match when the Premier League restarts next week against Manchester United on Friday, June 19.
More than 416,000 people have died of the Covid-19 globally, with more than 7.3 million infected.
An FA statement said: “The Tottenham Hotspur FC player denied that a social media post breached FA Rule E3(1) as it was insulting and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute, and constituted an “Aggravated Breach”, which is defined in FA Rule E3(2), as it included a reference, whether express or implied, to race and/or colour and/or ethnic origin and/or nationality.
You may also want to watch:
“However, it was subsequently found proven by an independent Regulatory Commission.”
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 7 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 8 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 9 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate