Tottenham’s Alli banned over coronavirus joke
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Tottenham and England midfielder Dele Alli has been banned for one match for a post made on social media about coronavirus.
The 24-year-old joked about the pandemic during a video on Snapchat in February and has been fined £50,000.
He will undergo an education course and miss Tottenham’s first match when the Premier League restarts next week against Manchester United on Friday, June 19.
More than 416,000 people have died of the Covid-19 globally, with more than 7.3 million infected.
An FA statement said: “The Tottenham Hotspur FC player denied that a social media post breached FA Rule E3(1) as it was insulting and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute, and constituted an “Aggravated Breach”, which is defined in FA Rule E3(2), as it included a reference, whether express or implied, to race and/or colour and/or ethnic origin and/or nationality.
You may also want to watch:
“However, it was subsequently found proven by an independent Regulatory Commission.”
- 1 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 2 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 3 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 5 Mikel Arteta 'excited' by Arsenal's appointment of Richard Garlick
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 8 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 9 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'
- 10 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'