Tottenham’s Alli banned over coronavirus joke
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Tottenham and England midfielder Dele Alli has been banned for one match for a post made on social media about coronavirus.
The 24-year-old joked about the pandemic during a video on Snapchat in February and has been fined £50,000.
He will undergo an education course and miss Tottenham’s first match when the Premier League restarts next week against Manchester United on Friday, June 19.
More than 416,000 people have died of the Covid-19 globally, with more than 7.3 million infected.
An FA statement said: “The Tottenham Hotspur FC player denied that a social media post breached FA Rule E3(1) as it was insulting and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute, and constituted an “Aggravated Breach”, which is defined in FA Rule E3(2), as it included a reference, whether express or implied, to race and/or colour and/or ethnic origin and/or nationality.
You may also want to watch:
“However, it was subsequently found proven by an independent Regulatory Commission.”
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Vivianne Miedema voted Women's Super League's greatest ever player
- 4 Arsenal boss Arteta faces injury crisis decisions
- 5 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 6 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 7 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 8 Tulip Siddiq MP: 'Nurseries are at the brink of collapse'
- 9 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour