Tottenham’s Alli banned over coronavirus joke
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Tottenham and England midfielder Dele Alli has been banned for one match for a post made on social media about coronavirus.
The 24-year-old joked about the pandemic during a video on Snapchat in February and has been fined £50,000.
He will undergo an education course and miss Tottenham’s first match when the Premier League restarts next week against Manchester United on Friday, June 19.
More than 416,000 people have died of the Covid-19 globally, with more than 7.3 million infected.
An FA statement said: “The Tottenham Hotspur FC player denied that a social media post breached FA Rule E3(1) as it was insulting and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute, and constituted an “Aggravated Breach”, which is defined in FA Rule E3(2), as it included a reference, whether express or implied, to race and/or colour and/or ethnic origin and/or nationality.
You may also want to watch:
“However, it was subsequently found proven by an independent Regulatory Commission.”
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 6 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 7 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 8 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 9 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change