Tory green rhetoric isn't matched by their dismal record
Your excellent report of the Camden Green Fair (Sun sustains environment show, H&H June 7) really captured the positive spirit of the day and the very wide range of activities that took place. However, it reminded me of one bizarre sight that confronted
Your excellent report of the Camden Green Fair (Sun sustains environment show, H&H June 7) really captured the positive spirit of the day and the very wide range of activities that took place.
However, it reminded me of one bizarre sight that confronted me as I wandered through the fair. I was astonished to come across a stall promoting the Conservative Party, sporting a large placard saying 'vote blue go green'! Now, I admire the brass neck of those local Tories manning the stall, but really have to challenge their ludicrous claim to be 'green'.
David Cameron may cycle to work occasionally and have temporarily had a little windmill on his roof but his party's record does not match his rhetoric.
His head of policy, Oliver Letwin, led objections to a recycling plant in Poundbury, Prince Charles's model village.
You may also want to watch:
Tory MPs have tried to block wind farms in their constituencies. They have opposed recycling schemes, backed road expansions and opposed congestion charging in London and road pricing nationally. Tories have also opposed recycling schemes.
The Tories opposed the climate change levy and the utilities Bill, which requires power companies to invest in renewables. They oppose any restriction on the runaway growth of airport capacity and are positioning themselves to support a new generation of nuclear power stations.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 4 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Gravestone is a reminder that slavery left its mark in north London
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
Now a joke's a joke, but in what way could their policies conceivably be seen as green?
Camden Green Party
St Albans Road, NW5