Hampstead and Kilburn Conservatives to select general election candidate within a month due to ‘current political situation’
- Credit: Harry Taylor
Hampstead and Kilburn Conservatives have started to select a candidate for the next general election as speculation about a snap election continues to build.
Deputy political chair of the association, Richard Merrin said that it was "sensible" given the "current political situation."
The news that the association is speeding up process will only add to belief that a snap election will be called later this year.
The constituency has been held by Labour since it was formed in 2010. That election saw a three-way marginal split, with Labour's Glenda Jackson elected by just 42 votes over Tory candidate and one-time Gospel Oak councillor Chris Philp.
However the Conservative Party's prospects in the seat have worsened, Labour currently have a 15,560 majority over them.
You may also want to watch:
The group is hoping to have a candidate in place "before the party conference season," with the Tories' annual four-day bash starting on September 29.
Mr Merrin added: "While I am aware we are in the summer recess, politics has clearly not stopped and we need to be ready in the event that circumstances change. As we all know the political numbers in the House of Commons make uneasy reading, so we need to be ready. Our intention had always been to start this process in the autumn, but we are now bringing this forward so that a candidate will be in place before the party conference season.
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 5 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 6 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 7 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 8 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 9 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 10 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
"Our focus must be own stopping a Corbyn-led government at all costs. Having a candidate in place will help that immeasurably."