Top five things to do in Hampstead and Highgate this week
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A talk by best-selling novelist Abbi Glines, the UK Air Guitar Championships and the 152nd Highgate Horticultural Society’s summer show are just some of the things featured in our top five this week.
1. Saturday and Sunday - Camden New Town Festival
The Camden New Town Festival entertains music-lovers this weekend. There will be a free jazz concert on Saturday, followed by a full day of activities on Sunday. Live music and dance performances will be joined by a wide variety of stalls, where you can try your hand at making a puppet, learn magic tricks or chat with health professionals to see what shape you’re in. Zumba sessions and free head and neck massages are also available.
Held at Camden Square Gardens, Camden Town. Starts at noon.
2. Saturday - UK Air Guitar Champtionships
You may also want to watch:
The UK’s top air guitarists battle for a shot to become the 2014 Air Guitar champion. The championships, now in their ninth year, go back to 2006 when the UK joined a host of countries with a buzzing sub-culture of competitive air guitar.
Air guitarists from across the country will gather at The Boston Music Room in Junction Road, Tufnell Park, to fight for the title of Air Guitar UK Champion and a prized place at the Air Guitar World Championships in Finland.
- 1 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 Mikel Arteta 'excited' by Arsenal's appointment of Richard Garlick
- 5 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 6 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 7 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 8 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'
- 9 Hampstead and Highgate entrepreneurs to launch crime-tracking app Curbism
Starts 8pm. Visit airguitaruk.com for more information.
3. Sunday - Give it a Go Festival
The Give it a Go festival comes to Parliament Hill Fields where families can try out new sports and activities for free, including athletics, arts and crafts, dance and Zumba, football, martial arts, fashion and make-up, bowls and croquet.
Assault course, a fairground and climbing wall will also feature. Starts 1pm.
Visit cityoflondon.gov.uk for more information.
4. Friday - Abbi Glines
New York Times best-selling novelist Abbi Glines travels from her American homeland to West End Lane Books, in West Hampstead, to speak about her latest book. Author of the Rosemary Beach, Sea Breeze, Vincent Boys, and the Existence series, she will be introducing the audience to new novel, Misbehaving.
Starts 7.30pm. Visit welbooks.co.uk for more information.
5. Saturday - Highgate Horitucultural Summer Show
Highgate Horticultural Society’s 152nd Summer Show will be held at the United Reformed Church in South Grove, Highgate. A celebration of local growing style twinned with home baking, the show includes plant and produce stalls as well as homemade teas and cakes. Awards and raffles will be followed by an auction of exhibits. Classes will also take place on the day.
Open from 2pm to 5pm. Visit highgatehorticulturalsociety.org.uk for more information.