TONY PARKS: Better for Spurs to win FA Cup that qualify for Champions League
SPURS 1984 Uefa Cup-winning goalkeeper Tony Parks admits that he would rather see the club lift the FA Cup than qualify for the Champions League this season. The 47-year-old believes that the Lilywhites can achieve both of their aims in the coming weeks,
SPURS' 1984 Uefa Cup-winning goalkeeper Tony Parks admits that he would rather see the club lift the FA Cup than qualify for the Champions League this season.
The 47-year-old believes that the Lilywhites can achieve both of their aims in the coming weeks, but he is particularly keen to see another trophy in the White Hart Lane cabinet.
"I'm just a big believer in silverware," said Parks. "I can understand everyone's ambition to finish in the top four for Champions League football and the finances. It would be absolutely wonderful for the club.
"But if you gave a fifth place and an FA Cup final victory, I think an FA Cup final victory for a club like Tottenham would be huge as well.
You may also want to watch:
"It's just nice to be in the position where we're fighting on both fronts. We've got some tough games coming up but if you'd have said at the start of the season that we'd be in this position, then we would have been absolutely delighted."
Now Spurs' goalkeeping coach, Parks admits he is flattered by the praise he has received for 'transforming' Heurelho Gomes from a nervous wreck into one of Harry Redknapp's key players.
- 1 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 4 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 6 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 7 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 8 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 Arguments over Heath impact of homes in Jack Straw's Castle car park
"It's been nice this season because I've taken a lot of plaudits and pats on the backs from people, but trust me you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear," said Parks. "People keep harping back to the first couple of months of his time at Tottenham, and I haven't heard nearly enough about the last year and his good form.