Titanic clash with Liverpool awaits Arsenal in the Champions League
Arsenal s reward for dumping holders AC Milan out of the Champions League so impressively is a quarter final clash against Liverpool. Today s draw also opens up the possibility of a semi-final clash against Chelsea, if their London rivals overcome Turkish s
Arsenal's reward for dumping holders AC Milan out of the Champions League so impressively is a quarter final clash against Liverpool.
Today's draw also opens up the possibility of a semi-final clash against Chelsea, if their London rivals overcome Turkish side Fenerbache in their quarter final.
Manchester United are paired with Roma and the remaining tie is between Germans Shalke 04 and Barcelona.
The Gunners were the first team out of the hat and this means they have home advantage in the first leg, though manager Arsene Wenger would probably have preferred to have the second leg at the Emirates against a Liverpool side that, despite its patchy Premier League form in recent years, has reached the final twice in the last three seasons.
You may also want to watch:
The first leg will be played on April 1 or 2 with the return leg at Anfield on April 8 or 9.
It's a pairing neither side really wanted, and the likelihood is that Chelsea will then stand in the way of the path to the final, which will be played in Moscow on May 21.
- 1 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 2 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 5 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 6 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 7 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 10 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead