Titanic clash with Liverpool awaits Arsenal in the Champions League
Arsenal s reward for dumping holders AC Milan out of the Champions League so impressively is a quarter final clash against Liverpool. Today s draw also opens up the possibility of a semi-final clash against Chelsea, if their London rivals overcome Turkish s
Arsenal's reward for dumping holders AC Milan out of the Champions League so impressively is a quarter final clash against Liverpool.
Today's draw also opens up the possibility of a semi-final clash against Chelsea, if their London rivals overcome Turkish side Fenerbache in their quarter final.
Manchester United are paired with Roma and the remaining tie is between Germans Shalke 04 and Barcelona.
The Gunners were the first team out of the hat and this means they have home advantage in the first leg, though manager Arsene Wenger would probably have preferred to have the second leg at the Emirates against a Liverpool side that, despite its patchy Premier League form in recent years, has reached the final twice in the last three seasons.
You may also want to watch:
The first leg will be played on April 1 or 2 with the return leg at Anfield on April 8 or 9.
It's a pairing neither side really wanted, and the likelihood is that Chelsea will then stand in the way of the path to the final, which will be played in Moscow on May 21.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 4 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Gravestone is a reminder that slavery left its mark in north London
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate