Three-legged cat from Archway a step closer to UK Cat of the Year award
- Credit: Archant
A three-legged cat who has become a local celebrity and is credited with having “brought the community together” is one step closer to becoming the country’s Cat of the Year, after being shortlisted in National Cat Awards 2014.
Legz, a five-year-old feline who was adopted by the landlords of the Charlotte Despard pub in Archway Road, beat scores of other cats to take his place as one of the three shortlisted in the Outstanding Rescue Cat category.
Believed to have lost his leg in a collision with a car, he has inspired several customers to adopt rescue cats of their own.
Landlords Amber Knight and Chris Sparks said: “Having three legs doesn’t slow him down one bit and he loves nothing more than socialising with customers in the pub, where he is treated like the superstar he is.
“We are so proud of Legz for inspiring others to help rescue cats – he really is the Cat Ambassador of London!”
You may also want to watch:
The trio now face an anxious wait to find out if Legz will scoop the title at a prestigious ceremony to be held at The Savoy on August 7.
The winner will be selected by Republica singer Saffron Sprackling.
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Rebuilt Carlton Tavern will be 'heart of the community' say hopeful landlords
- 6 West Hampstead restaurant cooks for NHS carers
- 7 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 8 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 9 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 10 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
She said: “Cats Protection is such a worthwhile cause and very close to my heart.
“I’m so pleased I’m judging the Outstanding Rescue Cat category.
“Who wouldn’t want to give a poor, homeless cat a new life? They make a house a home.”