Three-legged cat from Archway a step closer to UK Cat of the Year award
- Credit: Archant
A three-legged cat who has become a local celebrity and is credited with having “brought the community together” is one step closer to becoming the country’s Cat of the Year, after being shortlisted in National Cat Awards 2014.
Legz, a five-year-old feline who was adopted by the landlords of the Charlotte Despard pub in Archway Road, beat scores of other cats to take his place as one of the three shortlisted in the Outstanding Rescue Cat category.
Believed to have lost his leg in a collision with a car, he has inspired several customers to adopt rescue cats of their own.
Landlords Amber Knight and Chris Sparks said: “Having three legs doesn’t slow him down one bit and he loves nothing more than socialising with customers in the pub, where he is treated like the superstar he is.
“We are so proud of Legz for inspiring others to help rescue cats – he really is the Cat Ambassador of London!”
You may also want to watch:
The trio now face an anxious wait to find out if Legz will scoop the title at a prestigious ceremony to be held at The Savoy on August 7.
The winner will be selected by Republica singer Saffron Sprackling.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 7 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
She said: “Cats Protection is such a worthwhile cause and very close to my heart.
“I’m so pleased I’m judging the Outstanding Rescue Cat category.
“Who wouldn’t want to give a poor, homeless cat a new life? They make a house a home.”