Three children escape from fire in St John’s Wood

A fire broke out in St Johns Wood last night Picture: Twitter @cfaruolo

A fire broke out in St Johns Wood last night Picture: Twitter @cfaruolo - Credit: Archant

A family had a lucky escape after a smoke alarm failed to alert them to a fire in their home in St Johns Wood.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters from West Hampstead and Paddington were called to a maisonette on Abbey Road last night at 7.30pm. No one was injured in the blaze and the fire was under control at 8.15pm.

Due to a flat battery, the smoke alarm failed to go off and it was only thanks to one of the occupants who smelt smoke that the family realised there was a fire.

The fire brigade believe the cause of the fire was smoking materials which had been discarded on some bedding.

A spokesperson for the London fire brigade warned the public of the dangers of having faulty some alarms: “As a minimum you should have smoke alarms on every floor - in the hallways and the rooms you use the most, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen. They should be linked together and tested regularly.”

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter