Search

Three children escape from fire in St John’s Wood

PUBLISHED: 15:57 25 September 2017

A fire broke out in St Johns Wood last night Picture: Twitter @cfaruolo

A fire broke out in St Johns Wood last night Picture: Twitter @cfaruolo

Archant

A family had a lucky escape after a smoke alarm failed to alert them to a fire in their home in St Johns Wood.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters from West Hampstead and Paddington were called to a maisonette on Abbey Road last night at 7.30pm. No one was injured in the blaze and the fire was under control at 8.15pm.

Due to a flat battery, the smoke alarm failed to go off and it was only thanks to one of the occupants who smelt smoke that the family realised there was a fire.

The fire brigade believe the cause of the fire was smoking materials which had been discarded on some bedding.

A spokesperson for the London fire brigade warned the public of the dangers of having faulty some alarms: “As a minimum you should have smoke alarms on every floor - in the hallways and the rooms you use the most, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen. They should be linked together and tested regularly.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express