This van is worth £10,000: its driver owes £42,000 in fines
PROLIFIC parking offenders are being hunted down by a council for nearly £400,000 in unpaid tickets. This amount, which has doubled in the last six months, has been generated by 10 motorists who have collected more than 2,400 parking
WESTMINSTER'S most prolific parking offenders are being hunted down by the council for nearly £400,000 in unpaid tickets.
This amount, which has doubled in the last six months, has been generated by 10 motorists who have collected more than 2,400 parking tickets between them.
One white van driver who is the worst of the bunch, owes £42,660 in fines after racking up 264 tickets - none of which have been paid.
The council says it is eight per cent of drivers - about 5,000 - who are responsible for a quarter of all unpaid tickets issued in Westminster.
Transport boss Cllr Danny Chalkley said: "We are targeting a hardcore group of evaders who flout the law and simply refuse to pay their parking fines despite being sent reminders from the council. No-one likes getting a parking ticket but most motorists play fair and either pay the fine or follow the appeals process. We will pursue these persistent evaders to recover the money because often these vehicles are not properly licensed or display fake or stolen disabled blue badges."
Motorists who have three or more unpaid tickets and are spotted parking on Westminster's streets will have their cars towed and stored in one of the council's car pounds until they pay.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 3 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 4 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 5 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 6 3,000 new council homes for Haringey over next ten years
- 7 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 8 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 9 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 10 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead