Thieves try to ‘blow cash machine off wall’ at Highgate Post Office in Archway Road
Thieves attempted to steal a cash point machine from a post office in Highgate in the early hours of this morning.
It is understood they attempted to blow the ATM machine off the wall of Highgate Post Office, in Archway Road, using a gas canister.
There were unconfirmed reports locally of an explosion.
A police spokeswoman said: “Police were called at around 4:20am today to a report of a robbery of a cash point machine at a post office in Archway Road.
“Officers attended but any suspects had gone before police arrival.
You may also want to watch:
“The Flying Squad has been informed and will be investigating.
“Roads around the scene closed whilst enquiries are ongoing.”
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
The area has been cordoned off with police tape.
Kent Aberdeen, a staff member at Morris Roots hairdressers in Archway Road, who arrived at work at 9am, said: “They had blue tape up.
“There were police cars and forensics checking out the scene.”