Thieves try to ‘blow cash machine off wall’ at Highgate Post Office in Archway Road
Thieves attempted to steal a cash point machine from a post office in Highgate in the early hours of this morning.
It is understood they attempted to blow the ATM machine off the wall of Highgate Post Office, in Archway Road, using a gas canister.
There were unconfirmed reports locally of an explosion.
A police spokeswoman said: “Police were called at around 4:20am today to a report of a robbery of a cash point machine at a post office in Archway Road.
“Officers attended but any suspects had gone before police arrival.
“The Flying Squad has been informed and will be investigating.
“Roads around the scene closed whilst enquiries are ongoing.”
- 1 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 2 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 3 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 4 Watchdog: Ex-council leader's conduct over housing development was 'flawed'
- 5 Murphy's Yard 825-home tower block development to be 'car free'
- 6 'Superior York stone’ to be laid in Hornsey Town Hall Square
- 7 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 8 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 9 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 10 Discover north London’s ‘lost’ synagogue
The area has been cordoned off with police tape.
Kent Aberdeen, a staff member at Morris Roots hairdressers in Archway Road, who arrived at work at 9am, said: “They had blue tape up.
“There were police cars and forensics checking out the scene.”