Thieves try to ‘blow cash machine off wall’ at Highgate Post Office in Archway Road
Thieves attempted to steal a cash point machine from a post office in Highgate in the early hours of this morning.
It is understood they attempted to blow the ATM machine off the wall of Highgate Post Office, in Archway Road, using a gas canister.
There were unconfirmed reports locally of an explosion.
A police spokeswoman said: “Police were called at around 4:20am today to a report of a robbery of a cash point machine at a post office in Archway Road.
“Officers attended but any suspects had gone before police arrival.
You may also want to watch:
“The Flying Squad has been informed and will be investigating.
“Roads around the scene closed whilst enquiries are ongoing.”
- 1 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 2 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 3 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 4 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 5 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 6 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 7 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 8 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 9 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 10 West Heath Road flats set for approval – despite affordable housing dispute
The area has been cordoned off with police tape.
Kent Aberdeen, a staff member at Morris Roots hairdressers in Archway Road, who arrived at work at 9am, said: “They had blue tape up.
“There were police cars and forensics checking out the scene.”