Thieves fail in raid on Barclays Bank in Highgate
ROBBERS burst into a bank in Highgate and threatened a customer with what appeared to be a gun in a failed bank raid on Monday. At around 2.30pm four men sped into the village on motorbikes and pulled up outside Barclays Bank in front of stunned onlookers
ROBBERS burst into a bank in Highgate and threatened a customer with what appeared to be a gun in a failed bank raid on Monday.
At around 2.30pm four men sped into the village on motorbikes and pulled up outside Barclays Bank in front of stunned onlookers.
Two of the robbers ran into the bank and threatened staff suggesting they had a firearm hidden in a plastic bag. According to witnesses a brave customer tried to grab one of the men but then had the suspected weapon pointed at him.
But when the alarm was raised the robbers fled empty handed.
You may also want to watch:
Onlooker Chris Underhill, said: "I just heard this revving of powerful motorbikes and thought it was kids about to race off at the lights but when I saw them park up outside the bank I knew it was a robbery.
"They revved the bikes for about 20 seconds, making an enormous racket. It drew a huge crowd because everyone came out of the shops to watch. A couple of people were getting nervous thinking they might be armed. Everyone was just a bit incredulous, standing there watching them rev their bikes.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
"Then the two lads rushed out of the bank and they all rode off up the high street."
One member of staff at a nearby store added: "The sound of the bikes was ridiculous. If they didn't want to draw attention to themselves they were going about it the wrong way."
Officers from the Flying Squad at Finchley are investigating the raid. No arrests have been made.
Anyone with information that may assist the investigation should call the Flying Squad on 020-8358 1751. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.