Thieves fail in raid on Barclays Bank in Highgate
ROBBERS burst into a bank in Highgate and threatened a customer with what appeared to be a gun in a failed bank raid on Monday. At around 2.30pm four men sped into the village on motorbikes and pulled up outside Barclays Bank in front of stunned onlookers
ROBBERS burst into a bank in Highgate and threatened a customer with what appeared to be a gun in a failed bank raid on Monday.
At around 2.30pm four men sped into the village on motorbikes and pulled up outside Barclays Bank in front of stunned onlookers.
Two of the robbers ran into the bank and threatened staff suggesting they had a firearm hidden in a plastic bag. According to witnesses a brave customer tried to grab one of the men but then had the suspected weapon pointed at him.
But when the alarm was raised the robbers fled empty handed.
Onlooker Chris Underhill, said: "I just heard this revving of powerful motorbikes and thought it was kids about to race off at the lights but when I saw them park up outside the bank I knew it was a robbery.
"They revved the bikes for about 20 seconds, making an enormous racket. It drew a huge crowd because everyone came out of the shops to watch. A couple of people were getting nervous thinking they might be armed. Everyone was just a bit incredulous, standing there watching them rev their bikes.
- 1 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 2 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 3 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 4 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 5 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 6 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 7 Calls for removal of South End Green phone box
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 9 Campaign launched after girl suffers fractured ribs from e-scooter crash
- 10 Belsize Village restaurant hires young Ukrainian refugee
"Then the two lads rushed out of the bank and they all rode off up the high street."
One member of staff at a nearby store added: "The sound of the bikes was ridiculous. If they didn't want to draw attention to themselves they were going about it the wrong way."
Officers from the Flying Squad at Finchley are investigating the raid. No arrests have been made.
Anyone with information that may assist the investigation should call the Flying Squad on 020-8358 1751. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.