The Woodman: Highgate pub landlord finds humour in dramatic porch collapse
- Credit: Archant
The landlord at the Woodman pub in Highgate was shocked to be awoken by news his porch had collapsed in the middle of the night, but he hasn’t let it put a dampener on business.
Tom Helliwell, who lives above the pub, managed to sleep through the collapse overnight on October 8 until a passer-by gave him a call.
He said: “I was in bed and got a phone call saying the porch had collapsed. If anyone had been there we’d have had a problem – we didn’t know there was an issue.”
Tom added that the 10pm curfew had proved lucky in this case, as otherwise punters would have still been around when the porch collapsed.
He explained the disruption to business had been minimal, thanks to rapid debris removal by his landlord.
You may also want to watch:
In response to the incident, Tom ran a campaign to find the best funny tagline based on the incident. He said the leading candidate was: “The lobster thermidore is so good the porch fell off the building!”
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 5 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 6 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
- 9 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again