The Woodman: Highgate pub landlord finds humour in dramatic porch collapse
- Credit: Archant
The landlord at the Woodman pub in Highgate was shocked to be awoken by news his porch had collapsed in the middle of the night, but he hasn’t let it put a dampener on business.
Tom Helliwell, who lives above the pub, managed to sleep through the collapse overnight on October 8 until a passer-by gave him a call.
He said: “I was in bed and got a phone call saying the porch had collapsed. If anyone had been there we’d have had a problem – we didn’t know there was an issue.”
Tom added that the 10pm curfew had proved lucky in this case, as otherwise punters would have still been around when the porch collapsed.
He explained the disruption to business had been minimal, thanks to rapid debris removal by his landlord.
You may also want to watch:
In response to the incident, Tom ran a campaign to find the best funny tagline based on the incident. He said the leading candidate was: “The lobster thermidore is so good the porch fell off the building!”
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Arsenal boss Arteta faces injury crisis decisions
- 4 Vivianne Miedema voted Women's Super League's greatest ever player
- 5 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 6 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 7 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 8 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 9 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'