The unusual things MPs claim for
The Ham&High reporting team visited MPs this week to view their receipts. Among them were some particularly eyebrow-raising findings:
The Ham&High reporting team visited MPs this week to view their receipts. Among them were some particularly eyebrow-raising findings.
Item: Dyson Vacuum cleaner
You may also want to watch:
Item: Paper Folding Machine
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 5 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 6 Ozil set for Arsenal exit
- 7 More goals, less mistakes needed says Spurs boss Mourinho
- 8 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 9 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 10 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
Explanation: "To fold letters to constituents from my Parliamentary office. I do signing in batches and usually several hundred letters in one go. It is more time efficient for them to be mechanically folded - increasing the time for my office has to deal with other enquiries from constituents."
Item: Walkie Talkie
Explanation: "My office is upstairs in a pub and the pub staff were getting cross about coming upstairs to get us."
Item: House plants
Explanation: "Someone thought it would brighten the office but I suppose they could have bought it themselves."
Item: Diary (annually)
Explanation: "It is just a nice diary."
Evolution Synchotask Chair
Item: Tin of shortbread
Explanation: "The only thing I came across was a receipt for small office equipment which also said a tin of shortbread.
"I thought, 'Oh god we haven't been buying tins of shortbread,' but I looked at the money column and there was nothing paid. It must have been that the company who supplied the office equipment supplied us with a free tin."
Item: Two domed "gents" and "ladies" signs for the office toilets
Cost: �3.95 each
"Volunteers at the constituency office kept getting confused over which one to use."
Olympus Digital Camera
"The taxpayer only pays us for things used in the constituency and the camera is for the office there sometimes it is necessary for planning issues and things like that."
Item: Pack of 10 plastic vending cups