The relentless march of machinery in our parks
I write in support of your correspondent (Engines are polluting our parks, H&H letters August 6). Leaf-blowers are a pernicious blight on the tranquillity of our parks. Amongst many other functions of our local parks they are supposed to be places where c
I write in support of your correspondent (Engines are polluting our parks, H&H letters August 6). Leaf-blowers are a pernicious blight on the tranquillity of our parks. Amongst many other functions of our local parks they are supposed to be places where city-dwellers can find quiet and recharge their internal batteries amongst plants and birds and insects.
We have machine noise all around us in our streets and in our gardens (traffic generally, aircraft overhead, ambulance and police sirens, tree-cutting whines, builders' racket, excruciating motorbike roars, etc.) some of which is so loud it is painful.
All of it has a negative impact on people's daily well-being. We should not have the din of the various park-keepers' machines as well.
In addition there is the damage to the micro-creatures which are swept up into the leaf-blowers - which removes them from the wildlife food chain. Surely this must have contributed to the disappearance of our sparrows, as reported previously?
You may also want to watch:
Why cannot Camden Council (and others) require their contractors to use rakes in the traditional (and non-fossil fuel) manner, and leave leaf-litter to rot down under the bushes?
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 3 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 8 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
Ashmoutn Road, N19