The relentless march of machinery in our parks
I write in support of your correspondent (Engines are polluting our parks, H&H letters August 6). Leaf-blowers are a pernicious blight on the tranquillity of our parks. Amongst many other functions of our local parks they are supposed to be places where c
I write in support of your correspondent (Engines are polluting our parks, H&H letters August 6). Leaf-blowers are a pernicious blight on the tranquillity of our parks. Amongst many other functions of our local parks they are supposed to be places where city-dwellers can find quiet and recharge their internal batteries amongst plants and birds and insects.
We have machine noise all around us in our streets and in our gardens (traffic generally, aircraft overhead, ambulance and police sirens, tree-cutting whines, builders' racket, excruciating motorbike roars, etc.) some of which is so loud it is painful.
All of it has a negative impact on people's daily well-being. We should not have the din of the various park-keepers' machines as well.
In addition there is the damage to the micro-creatures which are swept up into the leaf-blowers - which removes them from the wildlife food chain. Surely this must have contributed to the disappearance of our sparrows, as reported previously?
Why cannot Camden Council (and others) require their contractors to use rakes in the traditional (and non-fossil fuel) manner, and leave leaf-litter to rot down under the bushes?
- 1 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 2 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 3 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 4 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 5 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 6 Parliament Hill flower shop comes to pupils' rescue
- 7 Covid: Slight rise in admissions but fewer patients in hospital overall
- 8 Belsize Village restaurant hires young Ukrainian refugee
- 9 Two-year waitlist for mental health patients at Tavistock Centre
- 10 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
Ashmoutn Road, N19