The Pogues band launches own Irish whiskey at Highgate bar The Boogaloo
Celtic punk band The Pogues have launched their own brand of Irish whiskey at lead singer Shane McGowan’s favourite Highgate bar.
The Boogaloo in Archway Road played host to a glamorous launch party attended on Friday by the band and their celebrity friends – including former Doctor Who star Matt Smith and Cinderella actress Lily James. The bar is the first – and currently only – establishment in the world to sell the 50 per cent single malt Irish whiskey, named The Pogues Irish Whiskey.
It is a favourite haunt of lead singer Shane McGowan, and for several years he lived in a flat above the bar.
Gerry O’Boyle, owner of The Boogaloo, said: “The band are friends of mine and The Pogues have used the bar for years.
“The whiskey has been very popular, and the feedback has been amazing. There was an intoxicating vibe on Friday.”
You may also want to watch:
In a statement, The Pogues said: “It’s been brilliant working with such experts to come up with a whiskey that we all think reflects our spirit and that we all like the taste of. It’s wonderful to add to the ranks of great Irish whiskeys and we hope it stands the test of time.”
London-based The Pogues shot to international acclaim in 1987 with their Christmas classic, The Fairytale of New York. The band have recorded several odes to whiskey, including Streams of Whiskey, and Whiskey In The Jar.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'
The whiskey is due to be sold for an RRP of £30.