Kentish Town pub The Oxford at risk after Greene King chain agrees sale
- Credit: Archant
The future of another north London pub is in doubt after it was revealed The Oxford in Kentish Town has been sold.
Pub owners Greene King confirmed today (Wednesday) it had accepted an offer for the venue in Kentish Town Road.
A source inside the pub said a closure date in March could be on the cards with staff likely to be offered other positions working for the Greene King chain.
They added a pub staying at the site remained uncertain but there was a possibility the venue would be converted into flats with a “small part” of the building staying as a bar.
A Greene King spokesman said: “As a leading pub operator and brewer, we are committed to running high quality community pubs.
You may also want to watch:
“To be able to continue to invest in our estate, from time to time we have to make the difficult decision to sell a pub. After much consideration, we have accepted an offer which we received for The Oxford.
“A sale has been agreed in principle and our team are aware of the situation. The Oxford remains open for business as usual,” he added.
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 7 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 10 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
Since 2001 Camden has lost 70 pubs – with 225 left, down from 295 – with The Black Cap, the Victoria and the Prince Albert pubs calling last orders in recent years.
In November the Ham&High reported the future of Belsize Park’s The Steeles was further in doubt after Camden Council approved a change of use bid by owners Faucet Inns to turn the venue’s upper floors into homes.