'UK’s first LGBTQ+ museum coming to north London'
Tessa Havers-Strong, forum+
- Credit: Nicolas Chinardet - zefrographica
The UK’s first-ever LGBTQ+ history museum, founded by the charity Queer Britain, will open at 2 Granary Square on Thursday, May 5.
forum+ is so excited that this vital space for our community will be located in North London and will undoubtedly be a wonderful addition to our local LGBTQ+ scene.
The museum will be an inclusive and free-entry space that welcomes everyone regardless of sexuality and gender identity, and celebrates "the stories, people and places that are intrinsic to queer community in the UK and beyond’ Find out more at queerbritain.org.uk/
It’s very fitting that the UK’s first museum dedicated to queer history should open in our local area, which has historically been home to some of country’s best loved and most well known LGBTQ+ spaces.
Over the past 20 years forum+ has conducted outreach and community engagement in many of these venues. Very special places that have not only provided a safe haven and contributed to the wellbeing of the community, they are also places where we come together to party and to celebrate LGBTQ+ culture.
The LGBTQ+ venues and spaces operating in north London today are highly valued by the all the community and the arrival of the LGBTQ+ is another example of how queer culture is thriving in the capital. There is much to be positive about and we are very lucky to have such varied local LGBTQ+ spaces to visit.
The great strides forward in terms of equality and social acceptance of LGBTQ+ people, has happily resulted in almost all venues (regardless of whether they are specifically queer owned and operated) being inclusive and welcoming to everyone.
Regardless of the undoubted progress that has been made, LGBTQ+ people still love to congregate together in spaces where community representation and safety is assured.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 3 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 4 Camden woman in running for Miss Universe Germany
- 5 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Haringey
- 6 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 7 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 8 Renaissance painting discovered in pensioner's bedroom sells for £255k
- 9 'Shambles': Haringey's parking website still full of problems
- 10 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
forum+ is proud to champion local LGBTQ+ culture and host events which celebrate LGBTQ+ life in the local community and help to reduce social isolation.
If you would like to join with us when we visit and engage with local queer venues, spaces, artists and performers please email firstname.lastname@example.org and follow forum+ social media and website: twitter.com/forumplus, facebook.com/forumplus, instagram.com/forumplus and forumplus.org.uk
Tessa Havers-Strong is director of forum+.